PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Glass

vettefan67
04-16-2002, 06:36 PM
What can be done for 10+ year old headlight glass besides replacing it? It`s not smooth on the inside because it has a pattern of parallel lines in very close proximity to one another, so this would make polishing difficult.

The problem is the glass has an overall green tint to it which I doubt is part of the design. Can anything be done to improve the appearance of it or is the "tint" all the way through the glass? I`m thinking it`s the latter but wanted more opinions :(.

Thanks in advance for any input!

vettefan67
04-16-2002, 09:16 PM
Well, I guess I`ll just clean it, Novus the plastic part inside and put it back together... :rolleyes:

At least I got to clean the engine up some with the headlight gone!

imported_capitolason2
04-16-2002, 11:29 PM
Have read that it is excellent for cleaning up all types of plastics.

Footy
04-17-2002, 05:14 AM
Check Huy`s article (`http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/headlights/index.html`)

vettefan67
04-17-2002, 08:04 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Footy [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Check Huy`s article (`http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/headlights/index.html`) [/b]</blockquote>I don`t think his article is meant for glass headlight covers. :(

Preachers Sheets
04-17-2002, 08:12 AM
Wow, I never knew you could restore plastic covers like that, jeepers, what a nice job.

I was always scared to take my lights apart, I don`t want to deal with the condensation that got inside of my Saturn headlights.

My lenses are really road chipped, I wonder if I can just purchase the lenses. It`d be alot cheaper then buying the entire unit.

jkochis
04-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Get rid of condensation by drilling a hole. That`s what most dealerships would do.

Footy
04-17-2002, 12:16 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>
I don`t think his article is meant for glass headlight covers. :( [/b]</blockquote>Good point, `puter. It has become a kind of reflex action for me - somebody poses a question about headlight restoration, and I post a link to this article, probably because I am very impressed with Huy`s method :)

vettefan67
04-17-2002, 12:22 PM
Me too . . . that`s what convinced me to try it! For some stupid reason I didn`t realize the covers were glass until I separated it - the casing and excellent insulation dulled any vibrations that would make sound and give it away as glass.

I feel pretty dumb after that one :rolleyes:

Lemonxxs
04-17-2002, 12:25 PM
Try a glass polish and a lot of elbow grease.

Lowejackson
04-17-2002, 01:26 PM
"Green tint" strange! my other Alfa 164, the headlights had a yellow tint to them, from old age according to the Alfa dealer. Could it be something for the USA market?

This sounds like a BradB type questions, as he has huge knowledge of strange things like this.

How about a mild bleach or caustic solution to swill around the inside???

Steven

BradE
04-17-2002, 02:14 PM
For yellowing (or any color) on the outside of the lights you can wet sand them (2000 grit or finer) and then a few passes with a rotary buffer and polish will make them look like new, not sure what you could do on the inside though. I guess you could wet sand with 2000 or finer grit then hand polish the insides.