PDA

View Full Version : Bird Bombs

brandonb
04-16-2002, 02:41 PM
First of all, I love this board. I am new here and am very relieved that I am not the only fanatic when it comes to detailing my car. The other day, from the time I got to the office and when I went out for lunch I had four bird bombs on the roof of my car. I got out my quick detail spray and 100% USA cotton towel to wash it off and it left a stain/imprint on the paint. After work I got out the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and this helped a little, but I can still see the marks. Questions: 1) what can you do to prevent these marks? 2) how can you get rid of them, once they happen? Thanks for you help.

BradE
04-16-2002, 03:14 PM
1. To prevent the marks you need to remove the bird crap ASAP. The bird crap actually has some acid content, which is why it will etch your clearcoat. Take the acid content, combine it with the sun and high surface temp of your car and it can etch quickly.

2. To remove the etching or stains use a mild abrasive polish like 3M Swirl Mark Remover. (3M part# 39009)

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2002, 03:21 PM
Showroom -

Correct me if I am wrong but can`t he use alcohol or vinegar (it`s one or the other) to remove any possible problems the bird crap may cause without using an abrasive product?

They are cheaper to purchase, from what I hear they work just as well and they are not as harsh.

BradE
04-16-2002, 03:24 PM
Alcohol will help neutralize the acid in the bird crap but will not remove etching, that will require an abrasive polish.

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Can etching start within 6 hours?

My car cover catches more SEAGULL bombs than anything man, I just smile when I see the cover dirty and my car as clean as it was 5 days ago.

BradE
04-16-2002, 03:29 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Can etching start within 6 hours?</blockquote>

You bet. With the right combination of elements etching can start within 1 hour.

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2002, 03:45 PM
Jeepers creepers, the only time I get bird bombs is in the summer when it`s wicked hot. Guess I`m going to have to re-apply the 10 layers of Klasse I plan to have or get some sort of laser defense.

bjwebster
04-16-2002, 04:50 PM
Laser Defense Sounds Good! Put Me Down For 2!

ultrajim49
04-17-2002, 12:59 AM
Have I ever mentioned that we are lucky that cows don`t fly?

:nixweiss

seriously, because of bird crap ,it`s why most of us have QD and MF`s in their cars.

:cool:

Lemonxxs
04-17-2002, 11:13 AM
VEry funny CV!!!! MAde me laugh thinking of cows flying and laying the mother lode on my hood!