PDA

View Full Version : Makita 9227C - What do you think?

gtivrx
04-16-2002, 01:46 AM
What does everyone think of this polisher?

(Makita 9227C - 7" Electronic Sander-Polisher )

http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=257 (`http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=257`)

Features:
Variable speed (0-3,000 RPM) with pre-set maximum speed dial; ideal for ultra slow polishing
Pre-set speed setting dial (from 600-3,000 RPM) for maximum control
Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
Easily converts to a sander
3 prong plug to prevent static electricity accumulation
Fast and powerful polishing for clearcoat finishes
Lock-on button for continuous use at one speed

JasonC8301
04-16-2002, 01:51 PM
This is a rotary buffer. Its not like the Porter Cable dual action polisher. Only use the Makita if you have experience and training with a rotary buffer, stay in one spot too long, press down to hard, and a list of other mistakes and your asking for trouble. The results can be buffer marks, burns, poping off a piece of molding, or even worse, burning through the paint.

Now all the nightmares associated with improper use of a rotary, a rotary can be your best friend on neglected paint. It will bring it back to life with the proper pad, product, and detailer.

Most people who have the Makita 9227C say the loop handle feels weird or they dislike it.

Jason

BradE
04-16-2002, 02:19 PM
I tried several rotary buffers before I bought one, I ended up going with the DeWalt DW 849.

But here is what I thought of the Makita. Like Jason said, the loop handle sucks! It kinda just feels odd when you are trying to use the machine. Power was good, but it can run a little hot due to the 10 amp motor and smaller brushes and armature. It comes with a velcro backing plate installed from the factory which is a nice touch. Overall it`s not a bad machine, I just prefered the feel of the DeWalt so I went with that.

gtivrx
04-16-2002, 09:16 PM
I did pick up the Makita today.

Seems to work nicley from what I can tell. But I am just using it for the first time.