PDA

View Full Version : Before I apply AIO to the windshield...

Pages : [1] 2

VT Passat
04-15-2002, 08:19 PM
Has anyone had any problems with the operation of their automatic rain sensing wipers, if equipped? I recall some posts on the VW Vortex site mentioning that Rain-X caused the rain sensor to actuate more than necessary during light rain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jkochis
04-15-2002, 08:57 PM
My advice would be to not use AIO on your windshield regardless of your wiper system. It`s not very good for that purpose. If you use it, you will be back on this board after the first rain want advice on how to remove it.

Jngrbrdman
04-15-2002, 09:10 PM
AIO is good for really getting the glass clean but it won`t really work like RainX. Its good for getting the windshield really clean though. You know how you can see where your wipers have been because the glass around that area is a little dirtier? The AIO will clean up that kind of stuff. Not as well as a really good glass polish but good enough.

If you apply RainX before you wash your car and then wash the glass with your wash mitt or foamy brush, then you can eliminate all the hazing problems that are commonly associated with RainX. Just a tip in case you are considering AIO because of the problems with RainX. :xyxthumbs

imported_Intermezzo
04-15-2002, 09:41 PM
I`m with RH on this one. I`ve had terrible wiper clattering problems using any sort of paint sealant on the front windshield (Zaino & Klasse). I removed everything with Zaino glass polish and applied aquapel and they work beautifully in the rain now.

YoSteve
04-15-2002, 10:18 PM
My advice is that you can try it.

we have the same windshield and the same rain sensing winshield wipers

I have my stock wipers and they work great.

Use about two drops of AIO and about a quarter cup of water and just act like you`re washing the window by scrubbing it with a mf applicator. You don`t need much.

If you don`t like it, you can easily remove it.

I think VW windows have something different about them AIO works fine in the smallest of quantities. Been doing it for 1.5 years now.

imported_Intermezzo
04-15-2002, 10:40 PM
Steve, you don`t apply it the normal way you would on paint? How do you apply that mixture...with a spray bottle?

YoSteve
04-15-2002, 11:20 PM
nope basically I use the freshly used AIO microfiber applicator after all the paint is done and scrub it up like washing it with AIO (right on the applicator)

vettefan67
04-16-2002, 01:59 AM
I applied AIO this past weekend to my front and rear windshields and I definitely regret doing it on the front one. My wipers skipped terribly and the AIO actually seemed to increase the amount of water retained by the windshield at lower speeds.

BradE
04-16-2002, 06:57 AM
Klasse is horrible on windshields! I got smearing and chatter galore. If you want something great on glass try Aquapel, otherwise don`t put anything on it.

2k2blackWRX
04-16-2002, 07:18 AM
I use zaino glass polish on my windshield and it works great!

The water just beads off the windshield perfectly and my wipers work better than ever. Whenever the one wiper on the right pushes the water, it flies into the other wiper because it just slides acreoss my windshield.

I would highly reccomend it.

vettefan67
04-16-2002, 07:54 AM
I recently had a friend recommend Zainoing the front windshield. I`ll try it the next time I wash and strip AIO, but how have others` results been?

BradE
04-16-2002, 10:25 AM
puter,

My expierence with Z on the windsheild is much the same as Klasse. Still get some smearing and hazing.

DETAILKING
04-16-2002, 11:50 AM
If the windows are not 100% clean u might get some smearing and hazing. Use VERy little Z2 on the windows. Wash with Z7 wash to level it out and you will be ok if hazing does occur. DO NOT use Z1 or ZFX on the windshield, works best with pure Z2.

I use rainx on my front windshield now but Z2 on the other windows and it works great. It greatly adds to the detailed look of the car with nice clean reflective windows. It also makes cleaning a breeze. I never use window cleaners, they come out perfect and streak free after a Z7 wash, and I z6 them to aid in less dirt pickup and slickness. Zaino glass polish is a great prep to use before Z2ing them.......

Hope this helps......

BradE
04-16-2002, 11:59 AM
DK,

I followed a method almost exactaly the same as yours, but I still got smearing on the windshield. I do use Zaino on my side and rear windows though and it works nice, but I prefer AquaPel on the windshield.:up

JonB
04-16-2002, 02:47 PM
I will have to agree with SRL about Zaino on the windshield. It is great on all the other windows, but IMHO, the only treatment for the windshield is Aquapel. I`ve tried Rainx, Z2 and lastly Aquapel. It`t the only one that doesn`t smear or wear off in a week. It actually enhances wiper use when needed at slower speeds. I put it on all my cars months ago and they are all still looking as good as the day I applied it... Slightly pricey but worth it.

H