PDA

View Full Version : Product Test: Finish First

Pages : [1] 2

alastair66
04-15-2002, 05:38 PM
Great - I received my shipment of Finish First late last week. I ordered the shampoo, the Finish Prep and the Finish Polish/sealant - it came as a kit for around $30 (which equated to $42 total to ship to me in London - which I thought was pretty good - although the shipping time was AGES...around 9wks).

So, yesterday afternoon I tried it out on my 911. It had AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, and a coat of Blitz on it. I first used the shampoo, which seemed to really clean the car (it wasnt that dirty). It certainly worked better than the shampoo I was using before, tending not to leave much surface water, making the chamois effort all the less.... which is always good ;)

Next, I used the Finish First Prep. According to the bottle, you only need to use the size of a dime (thats about a 1p coin to us), to cover about 2sq ft. It went on very easily, but you couldnt really see it that well, so I was having to stand back to check. I put the prep on, and took it off, panel at a time. Again, real easy to come off - and it seemed to leave the paint real smooth - real smooth!! It also easily got rid of a few water stains I had missed with the chamois.

Finally, I put the FF polish on the whole car. Didnt need to rub too hard - had whole car done covered in about 20 minutes. Then I left it in the garage...

That was last night. This evening, around 6pm I took the coat off *really hoping* that I wasnt gonna be let down by all the stuff I`d read, and all the marketing hype...

I wasnt !! Unbelievable !! Something Works !!

Im a novice at this, but even I could tell the difference compared to the way it was with the autoglym/blitz shine. It was soooo much deeper - and that was just one coat !

The instructions recommend 2 initial coats - so thats what Ive done... put another coat on, and tucked it up again in the garage :D

If it looks even deeper tomorrow I`ll be astounded. If it doesnt, I`ll still be very happy with the product.

Definate thumbs up from me (for what thats worth, lol) !! I`ll post a couple of pics when Im back from hols, in early may.

will

uk

JasonC8301
04-15-2002, 06:35 PM
Good to hear you liked....ok loved the results.

I have a bottle of Finish First (compliments of Tim) in my bag of trick. I might try it on a 1990 Mazda MX-6 WITHOUT clear coat. The horiztonal surfaces failed already, but the veritical parts and door jambs are in very good condition. I`m not going to use the PC, I am going to use a terry applicator and refine my hand techniques. Ah heck, I might get lazy and PC it with a terry bonnet.

Can`t wait to see the pictures,

Jason

alastair66
04-16-2002, 03:54 PM
heres a few I took this evening, after leaving the 2nd coat on overnight...

light wasnt great but I had to take them anyways

:D

1st - Rear:

alastair66
04-16-2002, 03:55 PM
2nd: side

alastair66
04-16-2002, 03:57 PM
3rd Front:

JasonC8301
04-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Looking good! :cool:

What did you use on the tires? Nice and black with very little sheen.

alastair66
04-16-2002, 03:59 PM
so there you go. next time I`ll try doing a before/after mix, its just that I dont like it getting too dirty :D

for 11yr old paint, the FirstFinish has sure done wonders ! Im real happy with the results.

happy detailing :xyxthumbs

will

london uk

alastair66
04-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Jason

Im almost embarrased to say, but I did the wheels with plain old Turtle Wax Wet & Black. After spraying it on, I got a cloth and rubbed it in pretty hard (to stop it spinning off when I drive :rolleyes: )

however, the tyres are pretty new - only been on about 3mths.

will

imported_StyleTEG
04-17-2002, 07:52 AM
Looks great! I never would have guessed the paint was 11 years old!

Lowejackson
04-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Great work:up and thats 11 year paint :bow - wow

Steven

JasonC8301
04-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Don`t feel bad, if it works then use it. I have used TW Wet and Black for a while with a Eagle One tire swipe, worked really well for me, just didn`t last for more than a few days, but only $4 or so for a huge bottle of the stuff. The next time I see it I will look at the size.

For me I like TW 2001 Tire gel and Lexol Vinylex, with a bottle of Meguiars endurance (satin adn hi-gloss) for the BMW tires I detail (turanzas.)

Jason

99scs2cool
04-18-2002, 09:25 PM
:up

Suuuuuuuweeeeeettttt lookin` ride!

Great job!

I`ve been waiting for a good post on FF. I bought the can of polish/finish late last fall and now that it`s warm enough I want to give it a shot.

I plan to do a Souveran topper after a couple of 12 hr + cures. I maybe even do a 48 hr cure if the rain hits this weekend.:bounce

This will be the first of a few tests this spring/summer.

Did you dawn and clay before application?

Bullitt3309
04-24-2002, 11:21 AM
Check out this blue Acura TL with FF on it.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/9871 (`http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/9871`)

Scottwax
04-24-2002, 03:26 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Acerone [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Check out this blue Acura TL with FF on it.

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/4/94/31/35749431XSbiIr_ph (`http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/4/94/31/35749431XSbiIr_ph`) [/b]</blockquote>
Looks great!:xyxthumbs

Chuck Gaura
06-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by 99scs2cool

:up

Suuuuuuuweeeeeettttt lookin` ride!

Great job!

I`ve been waiting for a good post on FF. I bought the can of polish/finish late last fall and now that it`s warm enough I want to give it a shot.

I plan to do a Souveran topper after a couple of 12 hr + cures. I maybe even do a 48 hr cure if the rain hits this weekend.:bounce

This will be the first of a few tests this spring/summer.

Did you dawn and clay before application?

I really like the Finish First and Megiuiar`s Gold Class on top. Plus it really feels nice. The way that the water beads up in such nice small beads, also...great.