PDA

View Full Version : quick q please - will IHG strip wax?

minty fresh
04-15-2002, 09:00 AM
the layers of wax on my car and licence plate are starting to noticably yellow and is turning my once blue car, greenish and torquoise. about to detail today, so if IHG doesnt strip, what will? TIA.

vettefan67
04-15-2002, 09:03 AM
A wash with Dawn or comparable liquid dishwashing detergent will strip wax, as will a spray / wipedown of Isopropyl ("rubbing")Alcohol, or any swirl remover or "paint cleansing lotion."

minty fresh
04-15-2002, 09:07 AM
i`m kinda new at detailing so i`ve heard all kinds of conflicting things about dishsoap and cars. if dawn is ok, i`ll try that, thanks!

vettefan67
04-15-2002, 09:10 AM
I don`t want to open up the subject again but most people will agree it is an OK thing to do every once in a while when necessary.

What are you going to do after stripping the wax? If your next step is polishing, that will remove the wax as well but it will load up the pad faster. Either way works :xyxthumbs

minty fresh
04-15-2002, 09:14 AM
ahh that`s ok. ;)

and yep - will either IHG or klasse AIO after washing and before waxing, kind of a post-winterish detail but if anything i did want to try and get rid of the yellow tinge on my paint. well, thanks again. :)

rstype
04-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Yes, according to Ron Ketcham, the solvents in 3M IHG will remove any waxes. I am not sure about polymer sealants, though...

imported_Intermezzo
04-16-2002, 02:43 AM
BW, I remember that post. But I thought Ron was referring to how IHG`s solvents will remove polymer sealant?:nixweiss Oh well, I may be wrong.

BradE
04-16-2002, 07:17 AM
Due to the high solvent content you should not put IHG over polymer sealants because it can eat away at your sealants over time.:xyxthumbs