PDA

View Full Version : Hey dont use armor all whatever you do

Pages : [1] 2

Caldy
04-14-2002, 10:41 PM
Armor All is the worst product i have ever seen. It has no UV protection and turns stuff brown if used on tires. Just dont use it. I would find somewhere to get lexol`s vinyl product Vinylex! It is the best and I use it tons on my vinyl. It also gives your tires a good celan look without ghetto shine. Doesnt flip off the wheels at all either.

imported_BretFraz
04-15-2002, 11:49 AM
If you do a search here at Autopia I think you`ll find plenty of folks who do not use Armor All for a variety of reasons.

Vinylex comes highly recommended here as do other protectants. It`s advantages are widely known and accepted.

As a newbie perhaps you could spend some time reading posts, especially the archives, before creating a new thread. There`s a lot to learn from the resident experts.

Lemonxxs
04-15-2002, 01:01 PM
Actually

I use Armor All and/or STP in my fender wells.

imported_Intel486
04-15-2002, 04:29 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Actually
I use Armor All and/or STP in my fender wells. [/b]</blockquote>
I do too.

Jngrbrdman
04-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Same here. And I like to mix it with juice and drink it at parties too. Yummy. Love that Ultra Shine forumula in my Margaritas. :D

04-15-2002, 05:15 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Actually
I use Armor All and/or STP in my fender wells. [/b]</blockquote>
Does it discolor the plastic over time?

rstype
04-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Agreed! :up

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bretfraz [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>As a newbie perhaps you could spend some time reading posts, especially the archives, before creating a new thread. [/b]</blockquote>
Actually, a few members have had sucess with Armor-All`s polydimenthyl silicone low-gloss, interior dressing. But I agree with your negativity on the regular "original" protectant.

JasonC8301
04-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Bw is correct, Armour All does make some decent products., ok two good products. I like their car wash concentrate (my first wash), and the new Armour All Interior low gloss protectant or something. It comes in a black bottle with some yellow splash to it. Has the description, grease-less formula, matte/low shine. I saw one bottle at K-mart today but was reluctant to pick it up since I have so much Vinylex left.

Also saw the Eagle One A to Z wheel cleaner, the one with the orange color. A few products down was the older black bottle.

Pats300zx
04-15-2002, 07:51 PM
Thats where I use it too......wheel wells....:D

Lemonxxs
04-15-2002, 09:52 PM
No discoloring of my plastic fender well liners nor the undercoat spray in the rear.

AA or STP actually makes them look blacker after a good washing....kinda brings the color back with minimal effort and not wasting expensive products.

I spray it on and walk away doing other things and when all done I wipe it down with a very ....old terry cotton towel folded thick to protect my hands from the gotchas!

Gotchas = those thingys that nip your fingers and make em bleed!

Scottwax
04-17-2002, 09:08 AM
I`ve never had a problem with Armor All turning my wheels brown, and I tested it on my car for 6 months. I still mostly use Meguiars #40, but if I run low and can`t get to my distributer, I will use Armor All. I wouldn`t use it on leather though.

TiCoup
04-25-2002, 10:56 AM
When I was young and dumb and had first acquired my TBird I use to detail the engine area extensively with AA. Years later rubber hoses and gaskets started to fail that had no real reason to fail. Not the common items like radiator/heater hoses. Plus had a lot of air intake & fuel mixing problems. This was prior to any TSB`s mentioning products and silicones in the engine bay. But in hindsight I know what deteriorated my baby.

I was one of the first, if not the first to mention using AA in wheel wells. Have never had a problem with that in years of use. And it works great on SUV`s with fairly well enclosed wheel wells. Makes the cleaning of slush/salt/mud easier. Plus dirty wheel wells look tacky on a perfect exterior.

A better bet is Meg#40 by the gallon. Nothing is cheaper per ounce (roughly .18 cents for me).

drewski59
04-25-2002, 10:31 PM
:) So far, I`ve had good luck with the PDMS interior/grease-free formula AA. It leaves a perfect satin shine and actually DOES have some UV protection!!! It`s the best stuff for the money!!

(maybe when I run out, I`ll try Meguiars #40!!)

jmdlat
04-30-2002, 09:30 PM
I use Armor All on the dashboard. Has that nice glossy shine. One thing, just stuff sticks to it a little more. But out of all the interior protectants, it works the best because it seems to last for at least 6 months. Now, as far as tires go, I would use Black Magic. That stuff protects, shines and last for weeks.

TurboCat
05-07-2002, 07:40 PM
I have been using 303 Protectant on my dash and trim. I like it because it doesn`t have that high gloss (since my dash is has a matte finish). It seems to last for several weeks.

I have also tried it on my tires and it works pretty good there too!

I bought a little bottle just to try it and will probably get the big one next time...

I was thinking about Lexol Vinylex but read it has more of a glossy finish, so I guess it just depends on what kind of a look you are going for...!

I`m just learning all this detailing stuff, just been getting into it since I got my Passat last fall...I had a beater car before! But even it looked great.