PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning

Caldy
04-14-2002, 04:40 PM
I need tips on engine cleaning. What is the safest way. what do i need to cover? what products should be used

Jngrbrdman
04-14-2002, 05:09 PM
Howdy there Mr. Wood. Nice to see someone from a familiar location. Engine cleaning is pretty easy. Depending on what products you use you can get exceptional results. I use the CD2 engine detailing kit availible at Kmart for the most part. It is two cans; one for degreasing and one for the shine. It works really well. When you are detailing an engine you want to be careful not to hit any of the electronic parts with a high pressure spray. They will probably survive getting wet but a full blast could cause damage. Even if the damage isn`t immediatly noticable the water could rust wires or corode other electronics.

Cover your air filter if you have an exposed one. A soggy filter never did anybody any good. You can spray around it or put a plastic bag over it if you want. I`ve seen people go so far as to cover all vulnerable parts with tin foil. Its up to you.

Tire foam works really well on your rubber hoses. It works good on rubber tires so why wouldn`t it? :D It is one of my secrets to success.

Depending on how clean you want your engine to be will determine how much time you spend. After you are done with the cleaning you may want to go in after with a towel and dry or wipe down all the parts. It definatly helps out. A clean engine is worth a thousand words. If you keep up on it then it gets eaiser every time you do it.

http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OwDGRCsTlAmPFp!ntzFoG7TwhSe7JMRc7GDcCfOhNVE8w4eXd SlGMuIOP2a45SkToR0KEcuOxgN3F4dWRRx8eN1WNCs2WZLY/100-0095_IMG.JPG

What part of SLC are you in? If you want to get together and detail a little bit sometime then let me know. I`ve got a lot of what we talk about on this board and would be happy to share.

Brad B
04-14-2002, 09:27 PM
A key mistake with engine detailing is trying to do too much at once, also. My philosophy is to take one component at a time, detail it to perfection, then move on. Doing too much at once tends to be overwhelming and leads to only so-so results on everything. The spray and sclean method is a nice quick-start, but you will be required to take each component at a time and detail it.

For cleaning oily parts I like aerosol brake cleaning spray. It melts grime, leaves no residue and is safe on paint. I also use medical swabs by the dozens. They are like huge Q-tips on sticks. They are invaluable. Low gloss rubber dressing like 303 Aerospace Protectant is great and OEM looking for wires and hoses.

http://fototime.com/2EB7186E64E7709/standard.jpg