PDA

View Full Version : Embedded brake dust

TCM
04-13-2002, 08:19 PM
Hey guys:

Today I detailed a 2001 BMW 540i with some filthy wheels. I threw everything I had at them that was not acid based but I was not happy with the results that I got. Got off a lot of the dust and a lot of the baked on carbon but all the corners of the spokes are still embedded with carbon deposits from the aggresive BMW pads. I used both Zymol Brite and P21S All-purpose-cleaner on the wheels. I decided that I would stay away from the acid based cleaners on the BMW factory painted rims as they are very sensitive but is there anything else that I could use? Any tricks to soften the deposits and get the stuff off? Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

Brad B
04-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Have you tried the P21S Gel, yet. It clings well and settles into the rough surface and pulls out the dirt better than the thinner liquid. Stiff brushes and scotchbrite pads (be careful!) are the next step!

YoSteve
04-13-2002, 08:50 PM
Since it is paint, use stuff for paint. Clay, SMR, PPCL, AIO, Finish Restorer. Initially I used a WD40 type lubricant to wipe off most of the funky grime. Good luck.

jkochis
04-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Some of that gunk could be tar, and like Steve suggested, I will suggest WD40. Let it soak a bit if stubborn. I soak a cotton washcloth with WD40 and rubbing will usually take it off.

imported_Intermezzo
04-13-2002, 09:36 PM
Wheel cleaner didn`t work? How about this?

New Use for Blackfire (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8699`)

The thread above makes me think that YoSteve`s suggestion might work well.

TCM
04-13-2002, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the quicl responses. I do not think the WD-40 is going to work. I mean this stuff is really bad. I detail 75+ cars a year and this is one of if not the worst dust buildup I have ever dealt with. I do not think the owner has touched them since he bought the car:eek: . I will look into the Gel Brad, thanks for the suggestion. What about a goo-gone or such, do you think that would loosen the material?

Preachers Sheets
04-13-2002, 10:46 PM
I have never used Goo Gone on a rim but I wouldn`t try it, espically on a customers car. I can give you an example of how strong it is since you said you want to be on the safe side with the pricey BMW rims...

You know the black plastic panels inside your wheel well? Well I used Goo Gone on that for a little overspray once on an old car and it took the black off of the panel. I thought the panels were black in the first place but it turned them white. It`s really strong.

I would try the PS12 gel, it is "supposed" to be alot stronger than the regular verison. Get a stiff yet practical brush and put some elbow work into them.

imported_doug
04-13-2002, 11:38 PM
Check out this thread: http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16742 (`http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16742`)

A friend of mine. he had similar issues - and the clay bar is what did the trick.

TortoiseAWD
04-14-2002, 06:30 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by joed1228 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I have never used Goo Gone on a rim but I wouldn`t try it, espically on a customers car. I can give you an example of how strong it is since you said you want to be on the safe side with the pricey BMW rims...

You know the black plastic panels inside your wheel well? Well I used Goo Gone on that for a little overspray once on an old car and it took the black off of the panel. I thought the panels were black in the first place but it turned them white. It`s really strong.

I would try the PS12 gel, it is "supposed" to be alot stronger than the regular verison. Get a stiff yet practical brush and put some elbow work into them. [/b]</blockquote>I`ve safely used Goo-Gone on clear-coat to remove both tar and adhesive with no damage. Not sure why it would attack plain black plastic that way :nixweiss

Tort