PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning chrome trim

RPM
04-13-2002, 06:16 PM
My car has quite a bit of chrome trim, which is difficult to clean in some areas. In particular, the front bumper where the trim is flush with the bumper and water always seems to get stuck in between the chrome and the bumper. Are there any tips or products I can use to keep this area clean? It always seems to look spotty even after a good wash and dry.

Brad B
04-13-2002, 09:12 PM
When you say clean, do you mean literally keep clean and shiny or is the chrome damaged in some way? I do my chrome by waxing it and maintaining it by using a Quick Detailer and microfiber towel.

Avoid frequent uses of abrasive chrome polishes that ruin chrome and thin the finish.

http://fototime.com/E2DEF99BF5FB903/standard.jpg

RPM
04-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Its a Lexus GS300. It just has a thin piece of chrome (1/2 inch) going all the way around the outside. I don`t think its actually damaged, but it does have some water spots. Its hard to take care of because its so thin and anything I do to it (chrome polish) is liable to damage the paint as well.

Brad B
04-15-2002, 07:20 AM
QD is perfect for this!

stang354
04-15-2002, 05:00 PM
GSGuy,

I have had good results polishing the chrome with the same thing I use on the paint. That way I don`t have to worry about contaminating one or the other. My preference is Zaino and I love it.

Sirslap2
04-17-2002, 08:03 PM
Before you attack it make sure it is actually chrome and not plastic trim.

Chrome polishes are generally abrasive and meant for real chrome not plastic trim.

RPM
04-17-2002, 09:15 PM
How can I tell whether it is real chrome or plastic? The front bumper is the area where it looks the worst, mostly from all the water that gets trapped in those areas after a wash.

Sirslap2
04-17-2002, 09:33 PM
This is from my Haynes manual:

"Plastic chrome trim is increasingly evident as manufacturers try to get their cars lighter and cheaper"

"to clean it, use only non abrasive products that specifically state they are for use on nonmetallic chrome parts"

"once clean, protect such trim with good wax..."

It is always the rule to start with the least agressive stuff to try and get the job done.

Tapping on it should be able to give you an idea if it is metal or plastic. Call the maker if in doubt.

The spots may just be hard water so try a little vinegar to dissolve it.

RPM
04-18-2002, 03:06 AM
It`s definitely real chrome. How do you guys get the water out of these areas when you wash your cars? A leaf-blower is not very practical for me, nor is an air-compressor. Driving the car around would just get it dirty again. I`m open to suggestions. Please help!

RPM
04-18-2002, 03:45 AM
I was wrong. Most of the car has real chrome, but the front bumper is plastic. This is the area that looks terrible. The car is 3 months old, I`ve taken great care of it but the fake chrome on the front bumper has spots all over it. What can I use to clean this and make it shine like new?