PDA

View Full Version : Old and wrinkled

dlw
04-13-2002, 01:30 PM
I finally got around to repainting the valve cover on the Prelude. This was my first experience with wrinkle paint. It was a lot easier that I had thought, the directions sounded like it would be a real bear. I think it turned out OK, now to see how long it will stay put on the aluminum valve cover.
http://members.cox.net/dwaltz1/Prelude_valvecover.jpg

Lowejackson
04-13-2002, 03:04 PM
Looks great :xyxthumbs Does the instructions say what kind of temps are ok?

Steven

vettefan67
04-13-2002, 03:47 PM
What did you use?

dlw
04-13-2002, 11:36 PM
I used a Plasti-Kote Wrinkle Finish spray can that I bought at one of the local AutoZone/O`Reilly`s or something like that. I go to so many of them I don`t remember! The instructions say to use it at between 60-80 degrees and to use a hairdryer to heat the freshly painted surface to promote wrinkling. It was right at 65F when I painted it. I`ve got a heat gun from my shrink-wrap machine that puts a hair dryer to shame, so I used it in between the 3 coats recommended (with 10 minutes between the coats). A lot of the wrinkle finish paints I looked at required baking the painted part in an oven. I didn`t want to get in to removing the valve cover-doesn`t leak oil now and didn`t want to chance it just to paint the thing! Boy, this under the hood detailing is a whole new ball game, much tougher IMO that the rest of the car!
http://members.cox.net/dwaltz1/Prelude_engineside.jpg

imported_StyleTEG
04-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Incredible job! :)

What did you use to mask off the engine bay?

dlw
04-14-2002, 12:21 PM
StyleTEG, I masked the engine bay with lots of 3M 3/4" masking tape and old newspaper. Masking tape over the VTEC lettering after polishing with Mother`s mag wheel polish, then used a razor blade to cut around the edges of the lettering. I worked in a body shop masking tractor/trailer rigs about 35 years ago so it was like the good old days (good old days, bah, that job sucked!).

imported_StyleTEG
04-14-2002, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the info dlw,

I have been putting off painting my valve cover for awhile now. I am debating taking the cover off or masking off the engine bay. My thought, is that letting the engine idle for awhile should have a simmilar effect as baking the paint in the oven.