PDA

View Full Version : Acuracer has a weird scratch - Need advice

TonyTahoe
04-12-2002, 05:16 PM
My wife backed the car this winter into a small snowbank when coming out the garage and it created a scratch(s) on the lower back panel.

This is the plastic bumper panel and I am not sure if there is anyway to get this out short of a repaint. It almost looks and feels like I took one swip with 60 grit sandpaper.

Any ideas?

Detailing NY
04-12-2002, 06:01 PM
it is hard to say based on the pix

i would use some type of compound or meguiars scratch x and apply with a PC. that might do the trick. take your finger nail and if it caught in the scratch then it will not come out, but you may be able to lighten it up a little

Brian

TonyTahoe
04-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Brian,

It is very much a deep scratch. I can feel every scratch and it is deep. Again, like I took a 60 grit to it. I hesitate to compound too heavily as this is plastic not metal and thus am not sure how it will reacte. And of course its black. ick.:(

imported_doug
04-12-2002, 06:34 PM
If it is truly 60-grit deep, you`re probably not going to be able to fix it. I would also suggest trying scratch-x with a foam pad and a finger - rub parallel to those marks, not across. rub with plenty of pressure (but only one or at most two fingers) and apply scratch-x at least twice, rubbing until it completely dries. I`ve had some really nasty looking scratches that I could "feel" - turned out to be paint transfer on TOP of the surface and it all went away. The scratch-x will do that; it will also remove any white that is on top of black as opposed to it being primer. So you`ll then konw for sure. If it is truly scratched down the plastic, you can fix it with sanding, touch-up paint, compounding, etc. Or you can live with it until you get something else you need dealt with and then get them all taken care of together professionally.

TortoiseAWD
04-12-2002, 09:05 PM
carguy,

May I ask, why rub parallel to the marks instead of perpendicular? I`m not at all saying you`re wrong, and I`ve seen other forum members recommend the same thing. However, I have a little bit of experience polishing metal, and you always polish perpendicular to sanding marks for the best effect. I`m curious why the same philosophy doesn`t hold true for paint . . .

Any thoughts?

Tort