PDA

View Full Version : helping a friend zaino for the first time tomorrow

ldonato
04-11-2002, 02:10 PM
it will be my first experience with zaino as well. he said he could borrow an orbital buffer if i thought we needed it. and the local zaino distributor actually suggested it. i was wondering what the good folks here at autopia thought about using an orbital buffer for zaino application. i`m thinking it`s overkill, but that`s based only on things i`ve been told about zaino, not by personal experience. thanks.

vettefan67
04-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi eugeneDC/TX,

Perhaps what the Zaino distributor meant was for you to use the orbital for swirl removal before using Zaino, not for the actual application of Zaino. I also would encourage that you make the paint as free of swirls and imperfections as possible before using Zaino.

There are plenty of threads in the archives about prepping cars for sealants, look to those for the procedure. Try searching for "wash dawn smr clay"

Most apply Zaino by hand. I`m considering applying ZFX by PC at some point in the future where I have at least 2 cars I will be putting 3 coats each in one day. The orbital would save time that way.

However I might change my mind because there is always the risk of picking up a particle and swirling up the paint with it. It`s up to you.

ldonato
04-11-2002, 02:22 PM
i think i`ll suggest the hand application to him. besides, i think we all should go through learning good hand application techniques before moving onto machines. his paint is actually not in the worst condition considering he doesnt detail almost at all. and it`s not a metallic paint so i couldnt really tell if he had swirlies or not. to tell the truth i havent really inspected the car. going to go over it tomorrow to see what really needs to be done. thanks for the tips.

imported_memnuts
04-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Orbital for the swirls. Zaino by hand.

Zaino is the easiest finish protectant I ever applied by hand. My PC feels neglected.:)