PDA

View Full Version : Car painted recently DETAILING?

corky
04-11-2002, 01:05 PM
I recenly had parts of my car painted (about a week ago) I know I shouldn`t touch the new paint with anything for a month or two but can I wax the other parts? or should I wait and do the whole thing? I also want strip the old wax and use a clay bar on the parts that were not painted should I also wait to do that?

Scottwax
04-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Anything that wasn`t repainted can certainly be waxed with no problems. What you might want to do it polish the entire car, even the repainted parts since polish won`t seal the paint, and then wax the original paint.

When I got my car back from the body shop (someone turned left in front of me and took out a fender, the hood, bumper cover, headlight, corner light and the grill) the front end had been repainted and the front door on the passenger side (to blend in the paint), so I could only wax about half my car. To protect the repainted parts, I first polished twice with Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner/Polish, then with Swirl Free Polish twice, then once with Hand Polish (Hand Polish for the entire car) then waxed the original paint. Every week until the paint was fully cured, I would at least polish the repainted sheet metal with Hand Polish. Anal? Maybe, but the repainted and original paint have the same gloss and depth.