PDA

View Full Version : Scare Crow advice needed ...

rd_volvo
04-11-2002, 09:20 AM
Every spring we go through the same thing. If your unlucky

enough to have your parking spot under a tree, it seems

that the birdies spitefully bomb your nice clean car.

Anyone have any good advice on any scare crow type

options. I just have a few small branches over the car.

I wanted to trim them but was told not to.

I was thinking maybe a little stuffed animal or two.

vettefan67
04-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Hi rd_volvo,

Where is this? Home, school, work? Just so we can help figure out what could be effective / appropriate for the specific location :)

imported_JeffBruce
04-11-2002, 09:28 AM
Before a Raven football game, some cars have the loud sound of a Raven.....WAAAAA.WAAAA....really loud....That play every minute

or so could do it...also scare other people ...may give someone a heart attack......I could say a picture of my wife on your console

but I won;t

jeff

rd_volvo
04-11-2002, 02:14 PM
The location is home.

vettefan67
04-11-2002, 02:19 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by rd_volvo [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>The location is home. [/b]</blockquote>In that case, just tie some stuff to tree branches. Ideas might be land mines, napalm, touch sensitive bottle bombs . . .

I`ve had good luck with large baloons that move in the wind. The ones we used at home to keep birds out of a fruit tree were purchased from a garden store and were tough material that wouldn`t pop and had some designs on them.

Any ornithologists around?

imported_memnuts
04-11-2002, 02:32 PM
Late night tree trimming??

rd_volvo
04-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Baloons, that`s the ticket. I`ll try the local nurseries and such.

Will try to match to color of leaves and flora so no one busts

my chops.

The Pros of these branches are the sun shade canopy they

provide in the summer which is excellent for waxing, QDing, Etc.

Well, gotta take the good with the bad, right!

Thanks

jkochis
04-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Distraction is another technique. A bird feeder in another part of the yard might relocate them.

Also carefully watch these birds. They may be planning or building a nearby nest. Locate that nest and "relocated" it, if you get my drift. I had a major bird problem last year and this ended up being the problem. I never found the nest. Winter came, and there it was, only 10 feet away from the problem zone. I will hunt down nests with extreme dilligence this year if the problem reoccurs!

Good luck.

RH

Solaria
04-11-2002, 03:19 PM
How about a nice #00 buck shot? Just kidding you might get your *** hauled to jail for that.

:p

We&#39;re Here
04-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Mounting an owl decoy in the tree above your car would undoubtedly work (at least until some cretin lifts it)!

We&#39;re Here
04-11-2002, 03:52 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by mch [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>How about a nice #00 buck shot? Just kidding you might get your *** hauled to jail for that.
:p [/b]</blockquote> Double aught? Ahh, just the ticket for the rogue starling :up

rockafella
04-11-2002, 04:48 PM
I agree with the fake owl.. I have one on my boat dock and it works great...