PDA

View Full Version : YoSteve to try Z?

YoSteve
04-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Intermezzo was kind enought to chat with me about using Z.

I asked him to talk to other Z users on what would be a good comparison to my current wax combo. I wanted something that would take 4-5 days in my garage and then I wouldn`t be QDing or topping (only washing) as I do with Klasse for 6 months.

Here is are convo if you would like to read it

> hey

<Intermezzo> Steve, so instead of buying ZFX from a distributor, you want to buy it from a user?

<Intermezzo> hi :)

> I want to buy enough to use it once

> the way I would be using it, if I were to buy it

<Intermezzo> OIC!

> and apply it twice a year

> if I like it

> maybe I`ll use it

> you see how well Klasse works on my car already, I want to see what Z can do

> and I want an AGREED combo so that no one will be skeptical

<Intermezzo> Yeah, your car looks killer... you`re going to compare shine, slickness, etc?

> I`m going to compare everything

> but basically my gut feeling

> like when I`m washing the car

> and when I`m driving in the rain

> and when I`m drying

> Klasse enhances all of that

<Intermezzo> I can tell you right now that I highly doubt Sal is going to agree to this...

> I have a ton of pictures

<Intermezzo> oh, OK....very extensive

> so if he doesn`t agree then Klasse wins

> cause that`s the method I use for Klasse

<Intermezzo> But some others like Metallic Mike, might be open to it

<Intermezzo> I guess it would all depend on exactly how formal of an agreement you were looking for

> or we should all adopt my answer for Z or K?

> which is

> if you like to wax often use Z

> and if you don`t use K

> (even if Z lasts 6 months)

<Intermezzo> Do you think that would be a good standard answer?

> that`s what I don`t get, if I get Z and it`ll last 6 months then I won`t be able to use it that way in which I use it only twice a year?

> Intermezzo, can I copy and paste this convo?

<Intermezzo> of course...

> I think that maybe if they can see our dialog then they they`ll understand what I`m saying better.

<Intermezzo> while it`s true that most Z users wax often, I just don`t think that that is the determining fact when explaining the difference between Klasse and Zaino

<Intermezzo> sure.. no prob.

<Intermezzo> I meant determining factor...

<Intermezzo> let me ask you something..

> If I like Z then I`ll be the one that says you can use this combo _________________ etc, etc and only use it twice a year

> but you guys have to let me get to that point and not give me examples of how fun it is to wax every month

> hence the test

> (shoot with the question)

> Intermezzo, I meant cut and paste our convo for posting on Autopia

<Intermezzo> Yeah, I guess that would be fine.

<Intermezzo> What would be your guess as to why Zaino users layer and layer and layer frequently, but Klasse users do a major detailing session twice a year?

> I have no answer for that question. I posted why I do it twice a year. (cause I only wax a prestine car, one that`s been AIO`d, PPCL) Klasse is soo damn durable, I`m never going lock in any dirt as much as I can.

> it`s the same reason why I only QD after a wash

> perhaps Zaino users layer and layer because it looks better every time

<Intermezzo> ok

> under my theory, I can only do that for a week, cause otherwise I wouldn`t get to drive my car due to the fact that I don`t like to wax a non-prepped car

> well I guess I could garage it until I get 20 coats of Z whatever, but that`s not practical. for K I garage it for a week and work my way up 5 coats cause of the cure time

<Intermezzo> I see. Because you feel that driving it around, washing it, and then adding a coat of polymer would lock in contaminants?

> it has before

<Intermezzo> Did you try claying out the contaminant when you discovered it?

> my first Klasse job, I locked in rail rust, couldn`t even feel it with your fingers anymore

> I was young an ignorant back then ;)

<Intermezzo> hehe, I`ve done pretty bad stuff myself!

> well I had gotten soo tired of putting on all that Klasse, I skimped on the rail rust. I had realized the error of my ways

> but I wasn`t going to strip

> so are we on the same page?

<Intermezzo> OK, so I`ll ask a few of the Zaino users I talk to on occassion and see if they`ll give you an `informal` approval of your plan (with or without a few changes) to apply Zaino

<Intermezzo> yup, I follow you!

> then I can spend a weekend (and a few days) put the stuff on, and just carry on with just washing for 6 months

<Intermezzo> (cont) to apply Zaino on your car and compare it with Klasse

> yeah, applying it once

<Intermezzo> yeah, the plan I gave you allows for just two days of detailing...

> I just want experienced Z users to agree on an even comparison

> because let`s say I just choose 1 coat of Z5 as the comparsion

> everyone will fret

> so give me your best

<Intermezzo> right right.. The only thing they are approving or agreeing on is the Zaino plan which would be a good comparison to what you`ve been doing with Klasse...

<Intermezzo> is that right?

> yes, thank you very much

<Intermezzo> ok....

> all this stems from, every time I ask why people keep adding Z, they answer because it`s fun. yeah, I get it, but that does nothing for me

<Intermezzo> Well, part of the reason why I do it is for enjoyment, but Zaino, like Klasse, is very layerable...so there`s an increase in shine and reflectivity with each coat....

<Intermezzo> granted, there are diminishing returns the higher you go though...

> Klasse hit`s a limit IMO

> after the 5th coat it started to feel rubbery and smell like Klasse

<Intermezzo> I see.. hmmm

> that was under the best conditions

<Intermezzo> because when I see some of the pics over at the corvette forum.. Man, those guys are insane.. They regularly do 30, 40, 50, 100 coats a year..but their cars are just incredible...

> since I was layering every day in a closed environment

<Intermezzo> Some of the pics I see there put Autopian pics to shame....

<Intermezzo> YoSteve, I see what you are saying. That`s interesting.. I heard David B had over ten coats once.. Maybe it wasnt under ideal conditions though

> we have no way of determining if 100 coats in 1 year = 100 coats on your car unless it was garaged the whole time

> 1 klasser has 20 coats of SG

> completely loves it

<Intermezzo> I`m sure there was some degradation of the older layers....But you know what I mean. To be technical, we can call it 100 applications...

> I have would like to put on 5 solid layers of Z but I need to know which combo would be best

<Intermezzo> well, on silver, it`s not as critical. Especially with a swirl-free car like yours. I would say the best combo would be 3-4 coats of Z-5 followed by 1-2 coats of Z-2

> I wonder how much scrutiny will be involved if I don`t like the combo you guys agree on

<Intermezzo> What kind of combo would you not like?

<Intermezzo> I mean....

<Intermezzo> there`s a possibility you might not like our detailing schedule we suggest?

> no

> if it can be done in a garage in 4-5 days then i`m golden

<Intermezzo> Oh, that shouldn`t be a problem

> that`s what I would do for Klasse

<Intermezzo> ok, that sounds good

> cool

> postin now :)