PDA

View Full Version : The Toothbrush

Pages : [1] 2

wizardofahs
04-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Today i tried a new (to me) detailing product, the toothbrush. To my suprise i found an old one in my bathroom, it was an Oral-B. (sorry for the pic quality)

http://www.mines.edu/students/p/pfchrist/brush1.jpg

I wasn`t sure what to do since it was my first time, so i grabed a white cotton towel, and a bucket. I filled the bucket about 1/3 full with water and then added some dawn (this became a good choice).

My plan was to use the brush in hard to reach areas like between body panels, under trim, side modlings, and emblems in the back.

My Procedure: I diped the brush in the dawn solution then put the tip of the toothbrush into the crevice i was working with. I then use a back and forth motion (with the crevice, not against), to loosen the dirt inside it. I found that the toothbrush doesn`t work well as a stand alone product. The best results were obtained using it in pair with the towell. I would use the toothbrush to losen the dirt, and then put the edge of the towell inside, to wipe the dirt away.

Here is the product in action:

http://www.mines.edu/students/p/pfchrist/brush2.jpg

The manufacture states that you should brush for about 5 minutes, i`ve found that if you want to do a decent job, you should expect to spend at least 40 minutes or more.

Pros:
The toothbrush/towell combo is so far the only way i`ve found to really attack these hard to reach areas.

Using the dawn was a great choice, a lot of the gunk in the areas was old wax and polish, the dawn helped to break this stuff up for easy removal.

Cons:
when the brush touched the paint it did leave noticble marring, I tried calling around, and looking online, but i haven`t yet been able to find a 100% cotton or microfiber version. Untill then the best way to overcome this is to use the product prior to the swirl removal and polishing. The marring is very aparent, but easy to cover up with SMR or a similar product.

Overall i was very impressed with the product. Most of the downsides can be overcome simply by changing your method. I do plan on using the system again.

wizardofahs
04-10-2002, 07:39 PM
another action shot:

http://www.mines.edu/students/p/pfchrist/brush3.jpg

JS
04-13-2002, 01:21 AM
I wouldn`t use a toothbrush on auto paint--for the reasons you state--too much scratching (marring). Toothbrush bristles are nylon--not good.

I use Boars hair detail brushes I bought from Griot`s Garage. Top of the Line sells the same thing--but quite a bit cheaper. I don`t like the full size Boar`s Hair Car Wash brushes (every one I`ve seen contains nylon bristles, for one thing), but the smaller "detail brushes" don`t seem to contain any nylon and work very well--without scratching. They look like paint brushes.

Top of the Line also sells this thing:

http://www.topoftheline.com/noname24.html (`http://www.topoftheline.com/noname24.html`)

Haven`t tried it, but looks pretty good. I`d only use the soft side on paint.

Zymol used to sell a horsehair wheel brush that felt very soft.

Also you could try horsehair paint brushes that are sold at various hardware stores. You can trim the bristles if they are too long. A lot easier on paint than a toothbrush. And some auto paint stores sell small "touch-up" brushes that can be used to clean or remove wax around small spaces like around emblems and the like.

Brad B
04-13-2002, 09:18 PM
You do have to be careful with the nylon bristles as they can scratch. But, as you mention, if you are careful, and deal with the marring, toothbrushes can be your valuable detailing friend.:p

Nice report. Thanks for the effort and photos! Great job! :xyxthumbs

imported_Intel486
04-13-2002, 09:53 PM
Go to a store and get a brush that is meant for adhesive(sp?) application. I feel the bristles are softer than nylon. I`ve never used a boars hair brush so I can`t compare it to that. I use a cut down one for getting wax around trim and emblems.

JS
04-14-2002, 10:05 PM
Intel 486: I know what kind of brush you are talking about and it is also a good alternative to using a toothbrush.

As to the earlier comments--sorry, but I can`t understand why any enthusiast would recommend using a toothbrush on auto paint, when there are better, economical, non-scratching alternatives available.

YoSteve
04-14-2002, 11:58 PM
hey Dr. Jones, way back when, I had a ureka moment with Guess My Name and that pic (in the second picture) that you showed (if that`s what you use it for). the best way to clean that rubber part of your car is to just simply roll down your window.

I do use a toothbrush ocassionally on my wheels.

TiCoup
04-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Toothbrushes work well on textured interior vinyl and that pebble textured window trim. And my wife has never griped when I put it back in the bathroom:D

I use Q-Tips or based on Brad B`s advice the medical Q-Tips (little wood stick with cotton on the end) for trim decal wax residue.

chevydetailer
05-09-2002, 08:07 PM
i Wouldn`t use a tooth brush on the paint itself but on other parts such as moldings and other plastic pieces is a good idea. I really don`t use the brush on the paint i would be to afraid of scrathing. i`m sure theirs a paint safe brush

imported_ron
05-28-2002, 10:53 AM
I used a soft tooth brush to remove residue from the rear emblem on my vw corrado, it scratched the paint. Will not use a toothbrush again.

TiCoup
05-28-2002, 02:52 PM
It`s happened, another member from North Dakota.

medic
05-28-2002, 02:56 PM
how about using it on rims to get the brake dust off?

Lemonxxs
05-28-2002, 04:01 PM
How about using them on teeth:D LOL I could not resist!!!

C. Charles Hahn
05-29-2002, 05:10 PM
I use a toothbrush with engine detailing quite often.....

also I find them useful for leather cleaner to really scrub along stitched seams.

I wouldn`t dream of using them on paint. :scared

cpaddock
06-01-2002, 06:18 PM
I use a basting brush:)