PDA

View Full Version : Need your help/advice!

arannat
04-09-2002, 10:23 PM
I offered to detail my mother in law`s car this weekend. I just don`t know where to start. She has a White 1994 Honda Civic hatchback that looks as if it has never seen a wax. There is no clearcoat. I use Zaino but only have the products for clearcoats, and I do not want to buy the not clearcoat zaino stuff. I do want the protection to last for her though. There is currently no reflection to speak of, and generally very dull looking.

What steps do I need to take? I want to spend maybe 3 hours on the exterior and maybe $20 in new products. I don`t expect miracles, but a shine would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

schnell.

titus
04-09-2002, 10:56 PM
I purchased (and received) my Zaino supplies before our new SUV was delivered. Got REAL antsy and just had to try the Zaino on the old ride (the non-clearcoat monster). The only prep was a Dawn wash and then clay. The paint could have used a good going over with a PC, but what the heck!

I used Z2 on the old Thing (shoulda been z3) and it turned out pretty slick!

Even the wife commented favorably. :p

So - go ahead and use the Z2. Your MILs Honda is gonna look real good.:D

imported_BretFraz
04-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Well, this is usually where Zaino is not the panacea of the car care world. Neglected cars need a good amount of prep work and you`ll need to exit the Zaino cocoon and use other products (make sure you wear a Sal-approved NBC suit).

If it were me, I`d look at a few Meguiar`s or 3M products. If you`re doing this by hand then check out Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut Cleaner and follow with their #9 Swirl Mark Remover. I`ve read here recently that some have used Scratch X in lieu of #2. That might save you a few bucks.

3M makes several products that will work here. Have a look at your local NAPA auto parts as they carry a full line of 3M. Or check out an auto paint supply store for a wide selection.

Basically, you`ll need at least two products to remove the oxidation, stains, and surface crud. From there you can use whatever polish/protectant you like. So the steps are:

1) Wash with whatever soap you have.

2) Clay

3) Paint cleaner

4) Paint polish

5) Protect

Hope it all works out for you. If you use differing brands, make sure you get that waiver signed by Sal before you start.