PDA

View Full Version : What to use before Meg. # 9

themush
04-08-2002, 03:49 PM
I have some scratches and swirls that # 9 isnt removing what

is the next step.

What pad would I apply it with?

Do I then use # 9 after, then do I follow with # 7.

I will be using the PC

Sharkie
04-08-2002, 03:51 PM
Finesse-it 2 with the white pad (CMA) followed by #9 worked well for me.

SJS

themush
04-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Why wouldnt you use the yellow pad? Or would that be too

abraisive.

Did you work FIt-2 until it almost disppeared?

Sharkie
04-08-2002, 04:06 PM
The white pad did the job for me, but if that doesn’t do it you can try the yellow.

Yeah I work it in small areas with small amounts of FI-2 until it starts to break down and dry out a bit.

SJS

themush
04-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Is FI-2 as I see called many times Perfect it rubbing compund or is it different

vettefan67
04-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Finesse-It II (3M #39002) is one product and PI-II is another. They are members of entirely different 3M product lines.

themush
04-11-2002, 03:55 PM
whats more abrasive Perfect it of Finesses it??

imported_BretFraz
04-11-2002, 07:48 PM
You can try a different pad with the #9 and compare results. If nothing else it will be a good learning experience. Every paint job reacts differently to products and application techniques. A PC lets you experiment and learn while keeping the risk of paint damage low.

Do a search for 3M products here at Autopia. Lots of conversations about various polishing products have taken place.

Always try a different combo using stuff you have before running out and spending $10 on another product that may or may not work. Even if you have a product that you think is too aggressive, mix it with a milder product and test results. The best detailers I`ve ever met always had their own little concoctions of mixed products to do a specific job on a specific problem area. Some guys I know had custom mixed products just for certain types of cars (Lexus is know for their hard paint, Porsche for their soft paint. The same products will perform very differently on those two cars).

BradE
04-11-2002, 07:54 PM
Perfect-It is more abrasive, it`s a liquid rubbing compound. PI-II= 3M Perfect-It Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. FI2= 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material Machine Polish.