PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Wax Test...

rstype
04-07-2002, 01:27 AM
http://www.deckowski.com/wax%20off/greatwaxoffintro.htm (`http://www.deckowski.com/wax%20off/greatwaxoffintro.htm`)

I know its not "up to Autopian standards," but hey, its different. And no one ever said there was only one way to do something. I`m interested in seeing the results...

What about you?

04-07-2002, 01:55 AM
Bjwebster and I know him as Tom Dee. He is on a forum at mbnz.org. I criticized his techniques and told him he was wasting his time lol. We will see what happens next week. Why doesnt an autopian from the bay area stop by his house in san jose. come on SHORT CUT!!!! San jose isnt far from pleasanton, just hop on 680 :)

vettefan67
04-07-2002, 02:05 AM
What`s so bad about this?

Scottwax
04-07-2002, 04:04 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>What`s so bad about this? [/b]</blockquote>
:nixweiss Seems okay to me too. I don`t really have a whole lot of time to do side by side comparisons myself. Nice choice of products-probably only going to be minute differences between the lot of them.

Pats300zx
04-07-2002, 07:10 AM
What no Pinnacle??? :(

imported_RIC
04-07-2002, 09:17 AM
If any of the surfaces have contaminants they should clay the surfaces first. All but one test vehicle has contaminants.

From reading the test set up it does not appear that claying is part of the test procedure.

The products containing cleaners and abrasives will outperform those that don`t (on a vehicle with contaminants), that is a no-brainer.

Same goes for swirl marks. They testing criteria says "remove". Are they including "hiding" ability. Abrasives are the only way to phsically remove swirl marks so products with abrasives will outperform those that don`t have them.

With the current test set up I would expect Zaino to get the worst results...with the exception of durability and water beading. Zaino has no "Step 3- Paint prep." products.

Redcar GUY
04-07-2002, 10:22 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RIC [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`> Zaino has no "Step 3- Paint prep." products. [/b]</blockquote>

hmmmmmmmmm Wonder why?;) :D

imported_Blake
04-07-2002, 10:30 AM
Looks interesting....a decent selection of products and it`s all in the eye of the beholder. I like the idea of not comparing a hood with a door etc. Let`s see what they come up with.

Lemonxxs
04-07-2002, 11:01 AM
I wonder what other FORUMS he was refering too.

bjwebster
04-07-2002, 11:21 AM
I think the test looks good, but unfair. He is including a “serious†abrasive on the 3m and Meguiars “areas†but not on the others. Just because a product doesn’t have an abrasive in their lineup doesn’t mean its not going to need one. Also, he says he is presently using Zaino, is he planning on stripping it with dawn? I didn’t think dawn would strip it. I personally believe that prior to applying Zaino or Klasse, the surface needs to be in “perfect condition†and will not yield the proper results without the proper prep. I.e.: Clay, SMR, etc.

It should Be Interesting!

rstype
04-07-2002, 11:26 AM
<em class=`bbc`>"I do know that it`s [Zaino] a bit of a pain in the *** to apply and wait and do another coat, followed by another coat, followed by another....you get the point."[/i]

Well, start checking your emails, Tom, as you know how quickly information spreads to Viper forums... :D ;)

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RIC [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>The products containing cleaners and abrasives will outperform those that don`t (on a vehicle with contaminants), that is a no-brainer.[/b]</blockquote>
Agreed. The judging criteria may need some improvement, but at least the tests are done on real cars that face real road contamination, etc. And they seem pretty much unbiased to me.

It should be interesting...

imported_Blake
04-07-2002, 11:38 AM
Looks interesting....a decent selection of products and it`s all in the eye of the beholder. I like the idea of not comparing a hood with a door etc. Let`s see what they come up with.

Scottwax
04-07-2002, 12:01 PM
bjwebster-what serious abrasives with Meguiars and 3M? Swirl Remover #9 is definitely a very mild polish, and the 3M version is pretty close. If they were using #2 or Dual Action Cleaner/Polish, you would have a good point, but what they are using are not strong abrasives.

jkochis
04-07-2002, 08:12 PM
Good start IMHO.

The ML320 "off-roading" pictures are a riot though. I`ve seen Camry`s do harder trails! ;)

bjwebster
04-07-2002, 08:14 PM
When I said "serious abrasives" I was not meaning a compound. I was meanig something that was actually able to remove a swirl. We say aio is a little abrasive but not enough to remove a swirl. P21s prep maybe slightly abrasive but not enough to again really remove anything. I was saying that they were using something that is mild yes, but actually can remove a swirl and prep the surface etc.