PDA

View Full Version : 9227c, vs 7424

THERUSE
04-04-2002, 09:47 PM
ok so i`m about to break down to buy a real buffer (i only have a k-mart bench master 9 " orbital now)

the makita 9227c sounds like a good buy, but can you guys tell me if it`s really worth it?, wouldn`t i be better of with pc 7424?

and do i have to get backing plate for the 9227c?, i planed on using the 3m sponges that have peaks and valeys in them.

any input is reallly appreciated.

later,

JasonC8301
04-04-2002, 10:12 PM
The Makita 9227 is a rotary buffer while the Porter Cable 7424 is a dual action polisher.

The Makita 9227 is a very powerful tool. It is a double edged sword. In the hands of a trained detailer or a very serious weekend enthusiast, it can provide perfect results on neglected finishes. Something a Porter Cable 7424 can not do. The Makita will ruin a paint job if put in the hands of a inexperienced user.

The Makita rotates the pad in a clock wise movement. It does not spin and orbit like a Porter Cable. This circular movement will generate heat quickly in one spot if not moved. The Porter Cable does not generate enough heat as a rotary will.

The Porter Cable is my tool a choice because it will improve all but the worst finishes without fear of ruining the paint job.

I am not sure about the backing plate for the Makita, the MAK-KIT from CMA looks good though. You may also want to contact 3M about these pads.

To break it down into once sentence, the Makita 9227 would be a assault rifle while the Porter Cable is a BB pistol.

What is the condition of the finish you intend to work on?

Jason

YoSteve
04-04-2002, 11:16 PM
what`s the 411 on the 7424 replacement, anyone have it???

Porter-Cable 7336SP Random Orbit 6" Polisher/Sander (at coastal tool)

BradE
04-05-2002, 09:33 AM
I think Jason really nailed it. If you don`t have much expierence with machine buffing I would not recommend getting a rotary buffer for you first machine. For a beginner some like the PC would be much safer. Use the PC for awhile, master it. Then you can always move up to a rotary down the road.

THERUSE
04-06-2002, 08:44 PM
i c,

thanks for the replys guys, i did some searching and i`m leaning towards the 9227 with 3m "waffle" pads.

now, would meguiars #2 (fine cut) swirl up the surface?, will i need to follow up with something less abrasive after??

later,

JasonC8301
04-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Meguiars #2 fine cut as the name says is a fine cleaner/polish.

Along with a rotary, you might get a very fine haze which can be taken away with a PC and a finer polish like Pinnacle PCL or 3M SMR.

It will take practice to get a perfect paint surface after using a rotary, right Intel?

If you do get the rotary, take your time and work in small sections, maybe 2 feet by 2 feet. on 1 foot by 3 feet (like on the horizontal surfaces.) Do not let the buffer it in one spot for too long and read read read, read all the power polishing articles and FAQ`s you can.

Jason

imported_Intel486
04-07-2002, 12:41 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JasonC8301 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>It will take practice to get a perfect paint surface after using a rotary, right Intel?
[/b]</blockquote>
YES!

I`ve had my rotary for... several month now and am still working at getting a swirl free finish. Getting better though. When I started out you didn`t even need to sun to see the swirls :D Now you have to get a light at just the right angle. They are getting down to a light haze now but they are still there. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR