PDA

View Full Version : Best Results with PG RO Polisher (SMR Sucks)

highspeeddata
04-01-2002, 04:11 PM
Although I`ve detailed my own cars over the years by hand using the standard Meguiars stuff, I decided in recent months to get more serious about it having bought a new car back in November. I want to give a little back to this board for all the information I took.

Like everything else, I researched myself to death reading these forums and the sponsor`s detailing tips. I ended up buying the following: Porter Cable Random Orbit Polisher (with all the different pads), Microfiber Everything (towels, pads, mits), Sea Sponger, 3M Perfect-It II Rub Comp, Swirl Mark Remover (dark cars - mine is dark blue), Finese-It II Finishing Glaze, Medallion Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One (AIO), Klasse Sealent Glaze (SG), Eagle Wipe and Shine, 1000, 800, and 600 grit sandpaper, etc. And of course my cupboard is filled with a selection of my old meguiars products.

I did a lot of experimenting which I will not go into details on (would take pages and pages). Here are my major conclusions for what they are worth. I`m sure many of them have appeared before but it`s always nice to get, fresh, confirming information, especially for those new to the forums who are reading the most recent posts first.

1. If you are serious about car detailing, but not a professional, get a Porter Cable Random Orbit Polisher. This thing is AWESOME. You can save time and your arms, run the thing at full speed and not even worry about burning the paint. It IS virtually DUMMY PROOF but WORKS GOOD, especially at full speed.

2. The 3M SMR does not work well with the PC Polisher (in my experience relative to FI-II - see below) - it leaves a lot of hazing/smearing. I think this stuff is more suited to hand application or something.

3. 3M Finese-it II works MUCH better than the SMR (machine application only). In fact, I would guess they are virtually identical products but the FI just doesn`t have "Mineral Oil" in it (see the back labels). The consequence of this though is that the FI-II is very hard to get off. You are suppose to polish it to a wet shine, but unless you are VERY sparing with it, that could take practically hours. I found (with a white polishing pad) I`d do about 6-8 swipes with the PC, then wipe off the residue with a microfiber towel (an mf pad might work even better). Unlike the SMR which wipes off smooth with a slick feel, the FI-II dries out to kind of a clay`ish residue that takes a lot of elbow grease to wipe off. However there is one big benefit to this in my opinion, it leaves a much cleaner surface, without any oils, for the Klasse Sealant Glaze to bond too - and boy does it bond. Plus, I couldn`t believe how dirty the pad was after using this stuff on a brand new car that was professionally detailed when I bought it (I dawn washed it really good too). Amazing how much crap builds up so quickly (I don`t think Dawn completely removes the wax/sealant).

4. The Klasse SG does an AWESOME job of taking care of any hazing after the FI-II and hides any miner scratches, spider webs, etc, and it is NOT hard to apply contrary to what some believe. Buy a microfiber pad (it is a microfiber cloth around a sponge). Spray it with Eagle Wipe and Shine, put a dime to a quarter sized drop of SG per panel and wipe back and forth with overlapping motions occassionally re-spraying applicator with Wipe and Shine. Let dry 15-30 minutes -- (I do not believe letting this stuff dry overnight does any bit of good especially if you have an FI-II prepped surface for it to bond to) then wipe of with an MF towel.

5. If you aren`t working on a virtually new finish, the 3M Perfect-It II Rubing Compound works great for removing more surface imperfections. I used it on a couple panels that had a bit more swirl marks/surface scratches and then followed with the FI-II - all using the white pad at full speed. I was expecting major swirl marks from the Rubbing Compound but again the PG is DUMMY PROOF and leaves only a slight haze at best. I think you could go from the Rubbing Compound straight to the Klasse SG (love all these abbreviations). Of course the amount of pressure you apply may change the results.

6. Be careful wet sanding. I used some 800 grit on the top of a pencil eraser with some soapy water to level a couple very small touch up jobs (about 1/8th size size of an eraser head) and it was not easy getting the buff marks out of the surrounding clear coat even though the area I wet sanded was really no bigger than an eraser head!

FINAL CONCLUSION:

I may have wasted my time and money! For $325 I can have my car completely detailed inside and out by the same guy that details all the Ferraris coming into our local dealership (he is REALLY good - works on the car most the entire day). To completely detail my car, it takes me 5-6 hours. That means I would be paying myself about $55/hr instead of taking it to this guy. However that doesn`t count the $300 in tools and supplies I`ve bought. Now if it wasn`t for the fact that I enjoy getting a work out and accomplishing something at the same time, I think I would have been better off not spending hours reading all these posts and buying $300 worth of crap, and spending hours and hours doing this and just take my car in every 4-6 months to a pro and not worry about it and go spend the day doing something more fun. But I guess some people really enjoy taking care of their own car - but come on - these isn`t ANYTHING else you would rather be doing?

JasonC8301
04-01-2002, 04:53 PM
$325 for a complete detail, how much is that guy paid an hour?

$300 in product will last much longer than a single detail for $325 so imagine how much money you save.

Do you have any pictures?

Detailing is a hobby, some poeple enjoy it while other people hate it. Thats why most of these butcher (detail most of the shops in SI are terrible Silicone cover up, a kid my age with a rotary and no training/patience (18)) shops still exist, most of the general public doesn`t know what a swirl is let alone other paitn problems (IFO, rail dust, acid rain, hard water spots, etching, etc. etc.)

Nope I have nothing better to do than detailing cars, I see it as one of my obsessions. Spent a little over $500 or so on detailing supplies (just a guess but I`m pretty sure I topped $500.) The sad thing is.. I don`t even have a car, or even a drivers license. I do have my permit though.

My way of getting around on a daly basis (school.)

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/facts/images/ggintbus.jpg

Glad you like accomplishing things though,

Jason

Preachers Sheets
04-01-2002, 05:07 PM
1.) Regarding the Porter Cable, I got one within a week of hearing about it and I don`t think I would be able to detail my HUGE Camaro without one.

2.) I have never ever ever had a problem with hazing or anything like that, of course I haven`t looked at my car under 100,000 watts of lights but I have looked at my cars surface with my face two inches from it with fluorescent lights, maybe it`s just the way I use it, we all have our own little style of doing things.

3.) I have never used that 3M Finesse It stuff. I do know however that you are somewhat correct with Dawn. I feel it does remove all the wax or whatever with two washings, maybe a little more, I use laundry soap once and that stuff works better than anything. After you use a polish your surface has nothing on it anyway so I`m not looking to use enough Dawn to strip 100% of the product.

4.) I feel Klasse SG is very easy to use, I apply it with my Porter Cable machine and remove it with a dry cotton towel, when it is hard to remove it is only because I goofed up on that spot and applied too much which doesn`t happen much anymore.

5.) I always go from Perfect-It II straight to SG, like I said before I never have any trouble with smaller swirl marks, spider webbing or hazing... lucky me I guess.

hahahaha About your "bringing your car to someone else" comment. It is hard to explain the fun I have with detailing, it`s hard work but after I`m done, take a shower and pimp my car down the street and just see the jaws dropping on a nice summer day with the chicks looking and the young kids pointing I feel wicked proud that I did the work myself. Heck, I don`t need anyone to do my car for me, I can do it myself. My car is an extentsion of my body and personality, it represents me and I just can`t pay some over priced guy in a shop to represent me. They will NEVER do the job that YOU want... only you can feel your car is truly detailed when you do it yourself.

This summer is gonna be the best, every weekend I`m gonna be out there man.

imported_Intel486
04-01-2002, 05:11 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by jcrist [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>2. The 3M SMR does not work well with the PG Polisher (in my experience relative to FI-II - see below) - it leaves a lot of hazing/smearing. I think this stuff is more suited to hand application or something.

3. 3M Finese-it II works MUCH better than the SMR (machine application only). In fact, I would guess they are virtually identical products but the FI just doesn`t have "Mineral Oil" in it (see the back labels). The consequence of this though is that the FI-II is very hard to get off. You are suppose to polish it to a wet shine, but unless you are VERY sparing with it, that could take practically hours. I found (with a white polishing pad) I`d do about 6-8 swipes with the PG, then wipe off the residue with a microfiber towel (an mf pad might work even better). Unlike the SMR which wipes off smooth with a slick feel, the FI-II dries out to kind of a clay`ish residue that takes a lot of elbow grease to wipe off. However there is one big benefit to this in my opinion, it leaves a much cleaner surface, without any oils, for the Klasse Sealant Glaze to bond too - and boy does it bond. Plus, I couldn`t believe how dirty the pad was after using this stuff on a brand new car that was professionally detailed when I bought it (I dawn washed it really good too). Amazing how much crap builds up so quickly (I don`t think Dawn completely removes the wax/sealant).

5. If you aren`t working on a virtually new finish, the 3M Perfect-It II Rubing Compound works great for removing more surface imperfections. I used it on a couple panels that had a bit more swirl marks/surface scratches and then followed with the FI-II - all using the white pad at full speed. I was expecting major swirl marks from the Rubbing Compound but again the PG is DUMMY PROOF and leaves only a slight haze at best. I think you could go from the Rubbing Compound straight to the Klasse SG (love all these abbreviations). Of course the amount of pressure you apply may change the results.

6. Be careful wet sanding. I used some 800 grit on the top of a pencil eraser with some soapy water to level a couple very small touch up jobs (about 1/8th size size of an eraser head) and it was not easy getting the buff marks out of the surrounding clear coat even though the area I wet sanded was really no bigger than an eraser head!
[/b]</blockquote>
Hmmm You have some really different approaches to detailing.

I can`t wait to get my <span style=`font-size: 12px;`>PG.

Finese-It II Finishing Glaze? You mean Finesse-it Finishing Material or the Perfect-It III Finishing Glaze?

The hazing from the SMR is probably the oils left behind by it. I had a problem with that once but after I went over it with some Meguiar`s #34 the hazing went away. I`m guessing it was the oils and fillers left behind by the SMR.

Did you ever apply Klasse AIO?

Why would preping the surface with FI-II effect the amount of time you should leave Klasse SG on before buffing it off?

From Rubbing Compound right to a wax/sealant? All the times I have used 3m`s rubbing compound it hazes the paint and you can tell a big difference between the areas you have used it and a finer polish. But, I guess you and your <span style=`font-size: 12px;`>PG make you the expert. I can`t wait till I get a <span style=`font-size: 12px;`>PG.

Really? It was hard to get the 800 grit sand paper marks out? What were you using to buff it out? From reading what you have it seems the harshest compound you have is Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound Fine Cut. Maybe if you actually <span style=`font-size: 12px;`>READ the back of the bottle you would have noticed it is for taking out 1200 grit or finer scratches...

I`m not sure what you were sanding out but most people don`t jump right to 800 grit sandpaper. You would have been better to start with 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper. I have never had to us anything lower than 2000 grit sandpaper when wet sanding on finished paint. Even when I do painting, I only use 1000 grit sandpaper between coats of paint. I only use lower grit paper on the primer and when I need to take paint back down to primer.

Now if it wasn`t for the fact that I enjoy getting a work out and accomplishing something at the same time, I think I would have been better off not spending hours reading all these posts and buying $300 worth of crap, and spending hours and hours doing this and just take my car in every 4-6 months to a pro and not worry about it and go spend the day doing something more fun. But I guess some people really enjoy taking care of their own car - but come on - these isn`t ANYTHING else you would rather be doing?</blockquote>
WTF is that suppose to mean? Most people here detail as a hobby and not to save money. Is there anything else I could be doing? Yes, there is a lot I could be doing. So what do you do for enjoyment? Sit infront of the TV?

imported_capspackle
04-01-2002, 05:14 PM
PG???

does he mean PC?

imported_Intel486
04-01-2002, 05:17 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by PathfinderGuy [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>PG???
does he mean PC? [/b]</blockquote>
Yes, that`s why I was making fun of him...

It is also what caught my attention since it was in the title.

highspeeddata
04-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Ya, I`m "abbreviated out" on the PG I mean PC :) (I keep seeing Gable not Cable in my mind) - fixed it to prevent further embarrasment.

Great comment about lighting. Seeing various reports on results from the PI Rubbing Compound, makes you wonder if some people just don`t see the swirl marks/hazing prior to applying the wax/glaze due to different lighting? I have three shoplights overhead and 3 halogens at different angles. Worse than direct sunlight reflection so I see EVERYTHING.

The Klasse SG seems to dry quicker after FI-II versus SMR probably due to the oils.

I screwed up on the 800 grit. I just grabbed what was in the cupboard and missed seeing the pack of 1,500 grit (this was my first time wet sanding). Reviewed the Autotopia Detailing guide says 1,200 grit - duh, thought it was 800, should have reviewed prior. Good thing it is only two spots less the size of an eraser head and the Rubbing Compound took care of it to the point you need to get your eye about 8" from the mark with flourescents to notice it. I feel like a moron though.

imported_capspackle
04-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Kids.. ALWAYS use a PC with PG..

z4zen
04-01-2002, 06:23 PM
I agree with Intel486. I don`t think most of us on here detail our cars just to save money. It`s more of a pride/hobby thing than anything else. I`m beyond tired from all the work I did this weekend, the buffing, bending, squats, etc... but... my car looks good, and I feel good about the job I did... I may only spend 1 weekend every 6 months really using the PC and other supplies, but I think it`s worth it.

On the cost aspect, a better kept car most likely will lead to increased value down the road. Also, you only need to use the PC, Klasse and pads to really recoup your money relative to having someone else do it. And, like joed1228 said, no one will do the job as well as you.

Jchrist... I`m sorry to hear that you feel the way you do. The next time (hopefully you`ll use your equipment and supplies again) you work on the car, I would try some Meguiar`s #9 2.0 instead of the FI-2. Much easier to break down and work with; comes off easy too. I would also add some AIO to your plan, after the #9 and before the SG.

Just my 2 cents... good luck though.

buldog
04-01-2002, 07:02 PM
Take pride in a job well done by yourself. Thats my moto.

DaGonz
04-03-2002, 09:15 AM
<em class=`bbc`><strong class=`bbc`>Be careful wet sanding. I used some 800 grit on the top of a pencil eraser with some soapy water to level a couple very small touch up jobs (about 1/8th size size of an eraser head) and it was not easy getting the buff marks out of the surrounding clear coat even though the area I wet sanded was really no bigger than an eraser head!
[/i][/b]

800 grit is way to abrasive!!!! Next time, try a 1500 or 2000 grit when you color sand to level touch up paint in a chip..the sanding marks are a lot easier to buff out!

Solaria
04-03-2002, 12:47 PM
800 grit paper would like cut through the clear coat on my paint in one swipe. The clear coat would be toast. I even consider 2500 grit a bit abrasive. You can always take off more clear by starting with like a 3000 grit, but once it is cut it can not be fixed.

imported_Intel486
04-03-2002, 05:06 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by mch [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>800 grit paper would like cut through the clear coat on my paint in one swipe. The clear coat would be toast. I even consider 2500 grit a bit abrasive. You can always take off more clear by starting with like a 3000 grit, but once it is cut it can not be fixed. [/b]</blockquote>
You know any place that sells 3000 grit sandpaper?

You know you can break through the clearcoat faster with a rotary than with 2000 grit sandpaper?

JasonC8301
04-04-2002, 12:44 PM
I think www.carcareonline.com sells 2000 and 3000 grit sand paper or was it those sanding blocks from Meguiar`s?

I think 3M also has these really high #`s of sand paper.

800 grit, at least he didn`t scar the paint with 600 grit sand paper. I did darn Krazy glue. After some compounding I guess I improved the look of it to almost non existant but its still there in my eyes.

Jason