PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Pipe Tips

jleev
03-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Any recommendations (products / techniques) for the cleaning / restoration of factory original chrome Exhaust Pipe Tips on a Porsche ’97 993 would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Preachers Sheets
03-29-2002, 03:00 PM
Use Never-Dul

imported_memnuts
03-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Hopefully the tips are not very dirty. If they are reasonably clean, maybe a little exhaust carbon, you can use a mild abrasive ( i.e cleaner wax), clean the stubborn deposits with a little WD40 then wash with Dawn. I use Zaino on my chrome tips and wipe down after every use. When I apply a coat of Z to the paint I also add a coat to the tips. Seems to stop pitting and corrusion and they shine very well. On the Lexus I use P21S on the tips.

DETAILKING
03-29-2002, 03:17 PM
0000 steel wool.

jleev
03-29-2002, 03:31 PM
Would it be benificial to remove and soak them over night first?

jkochis
03-29-2002, 03:42 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by joed1228 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Use Never-Dul [/b]</blockquote>
I agree, Never-Dul does a great job!!!

jkochis
03-29-2002, 03:44 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by blkZ28Conv [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Hopefully the tips are not very dirty. If they are reasonably clean, maybe a little exhaust carbon, you can use a mild abrasive ( i.e cleaner wax), clean the stubborn deposits with a little WD40 then wash with Dawn. I use Zaino on my chrome tips and wipe down after every use. When I apply a coat of Z to the paint I also add a coat to the tips. Seems to stop pitting and corrusion and they shine very well. On the Lexus I use P21S on the tips. [/b]</blockquote>
Zaino can withstand exhaust temperatures? Wow, I thought I heard it all...:cool:

imported_StyleTEG
03-29-2002, 05:51 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RH [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>

Zaino can withstand exhaust temperatures? Wow, I thought I heard it all...:cool: [/b]</blockquote>
I don`t think the tips get all that hot. Probably differs from car to car, but I beleave it :)

imported_memnuts
03-30-2002, 08:47 AM
QUOTE]<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RH [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>

Zaino can withstand exhaust temperatures? Wow, I thought I heard it all...:cool: [/b][/QUOTE]
The same principle of protection applys to exhaust tips as it does for wheels. True sealants may not and probably do not withstand the stresses that these items incur during use but they do offer better protection than unprotected metal ( chrome ) or clearcoat ( wheels). No one stated that this was long term protection. There was no implied indication that Zaino resisted hi-temp. All that the was stated that I protect the chrome on my exhaust by this method. I also stated that on my other car I apply a coat of P21S. So I guess I`m stating also that carnuba withstand hi-temp. :nixweiss
RH do not read into this thread more than was implied.

jkochis
03-30-2002, 11:33 AM
The difference between wheels and exhaust tips is similar, but not quite the same. The wheels get warm, but an order of magnitude less than exhaust tips. When braking the dust is hot, and the wheel protection will be the sacrificial layer. The exhaust tips on the other hand are expelling the gasses as a result of an explosion, and get much much hotter, and is essentially at the same hot temperature the entire time your car is running. Wheels cool down when not braking.

Wax on exhaust tips is a total waste of wax once you have gotten your car up to operating temps...it disappears. Carnuaba even sooner.

imported_memnuts
03-30-2002, 11:52 AM
This extreme heat in the exhaust tips may be true for a rear engined cars and motorcycles but with a front mounted V-8`s that I have the exhaust tips do not get very hot. As a matter of fact they can be wiped off and detailed after every drive without fear of being burnt. Remember that the exhaust is exiting the internal surface of the exhaust tips and the external surface is cooled by convection.

The bottom line is that we do not know except from observation and long term trials if any dressing last beyond the starting of the engine. All I can say is that my chrome tips are shiny as new without any pitting and clean up very easily and never require any abrasive polishing.:nixweiss

skottsmith@sbcglobal.net
03-30-2002, 02:52 PM
I agree the exhaust tips on front engined cars don`t get that hot.

I drive to car shows and detail the exhaust tips soon after arrival.

I use Zaino glass polish to shine the chrome tips and Z2 or Z5 to protect and provide gloss.

Bill;) ;)