PDA

View Full Version : It Has Been Decided

Bigsteve2200
06-25-2004, 08:58 PM
I finally decided i am going to come out or try to along with my buisness some sort of detailing magazine that teaches tips tricks, etc. i got to thinking today that there are really no magazines out there available to the public about detailing that i personally know of dedicated to just detailing so why not try that venture as well

shotime
06-25-2004, 09:25 PM
The thing is, detailing is a skill that`s learned. From what I`ve seen, people have lost all skills using their hands. The amount of people I know that can`t do a simple oil change far out number those that do. In the 3 years I`ve worked at a car dealership, not ONE vehicle I`ve seen has been up to my standards of clean. You`re better off trying to come up with a maintenance brochure, sell advertising to manufacturers, and distributing it to dealerships. If someone wants to get involved with detailing, they`ll go out and seek the information themselves, IE these forums. Your average person sees owning a car and the maintenence that goes with it as a burden, not a hobby.

Bigsteve2200
06-25-2004, 09:30 PM
it was jsut an idea

bigron62
06-25-2004, 09:44 PM
thats it .. you gave up already???

keeotee
06-25-2004, 09:51 PM
You might consider doing an Ezine - create yourself a website and make it an online magazine. I think that would be really cool. I`ll bet you could get folks to even contribute to it too. I say go for it - go for something along the lines of your idea! :)

Bigsteve2200
06-25-2004, 10:11 PM
no i didnt give up already it is just an idea i have cooking in my head right now

Bigsteve2200
06-25-2004, 10:12 PM
doing a magazine would be time consuming if i were to do it right now although i would probably start out with a newsletter then eventually publish a magazine once it became popular.

Intel486
06-25-2004, 10:19 PM
I noticed you put this in the professional detailer section. Is this magazine for Pro detailers? There are already several publications for Pro detailers as well as a wealth of information already out there.

Bigsteve2200
06-25-2004, 11:11 PM
i am envisioning something more mainstream one day something you would be able to buy at your local newstand of course i always have big goals

TheSopranos16
06-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Thats okay, big goals are good! They lead to big results! I think its an excellent idea and I`d love to have a magazine about detaling. The problem is, I don`t think the market is big enough. When you read these forms, it seems like everyone is into detailing (thus the name detail city). But, out in the real world, I find it difficult to find people who actually give a sh*t what their car looks like. But, on the other hand, look at Guru Reports. They have been pretty sucessful to my knowledge. I think you will run into trouble coming up with enough content for a magazine. How much can you possibly say on the subject without getting boring or repetative? If you get too complex, its going to turn into an exact replica of Detail City. The people who are that into this just use this forum and the people less interested don`t want too much detail, just basics. I would say if you were to persue it, you would be best off focusing on the products, with a similar approach as Guru Reports. The products are always changing and improving, so you could constantly keep people up to date on whats new and whats best...I like the idea, dont` get me wrong. I just think its gonna have to be worked out to make it marketable to enough people to become a profitable venture for you.

Poorboy
06-26-2004, 07:10 AM
I think shotime is right...it`s more of a practice and skill art form...reading about it is not what most people do:dunno how many woodworking magazines do you own? it`s a hands on activity...I guess that`s why car wash magazines only dedicate a few pages here and there to detailing, because the percentage of details to car washes they do (and most car washes have a detailing area) is very low.
I like the idea of a tips and tricks brochure that can be given to dealers for when they sell a new car....that`s when people actually read the stuff the dealer gave them like the stuff i got last night:)

GraniteState
06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
I don`t know I do agree it is a hands on skill but, I have books about detailing maybe that would be a way to go publish A book, I would like to have a guide on hand for things I have not encountered yet. I won`t steal the thread but I have a instance where I am not familiar with now the plastic windows on convertable tops. I haven`t realy had to deal with them nor do I realy know what to do to make it better...

Maybe a field guide I bet you could fill a 300 page book with different things tyopes of waxes, procedured, prep work ETC....

Just a thought!!

dream big!!

good luck

JAY