PDA

View Full Version : almost ready to pass over into Z, one quick question

wizardofahs
03-19-2002, 04:12 PM
I know Zaino is like a cult... the people who try it love it. I`ve seen beatuiful pictures on this board (Redcarguy`s camaro comes to mind especially) and i`m very very tempted to give it a shot on my black civic. one quick question before i order though. My car is a 2000, i`m sure it had a clearcoat when i got it. But i bought it used and there has been some debate about one of the sides possibly not having clearcoat. I know the method with a towell and a polish to see if the color is on the towell. I have BF polish, AIO, SMR, and FI-II, which would be the best to use for this purpose? Also would one bottle of everything be enough to do my car? I will definatly be layering z5 to cover all my scratches.. and z2, to make it shine... will one bottle be enough for 5-6 coats? And finally... on the website it said ZFX decreases wait time... it didn`t say by how much. On the site it said to wait 24+ hours between coats, i`m guessing this is without ZFX. how much is it with it? Thanks!

Bobby G
03-19-2002, 04:16 PM
SMR will tell you if you have a clear coat finish or a single stage finish.

If you use ZFX with the Zaino polish, you can do up to 3 back-to-bacj coats... no waiting.

db

imported_Intermezzo
03-19-2002, 04:25 PM
I can get about 4 coats using one ounce of Z using very thin coats. Thus, depending on how successful you are in applying your coats thinly, you can get about 30 coats with one bottle.

DETAILKING
03-19-2002, 04:33 PM
To check for clearcoat, any of those products should work. Your honda should be clearcoated though, even if it was repainted..........

As a minimum I would get ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z7, and Z6.

What product is on the car now? Remember to dawn wash, clay if necessary, and if the swirls are moderate, remove them before using zaino as Z5 has a limited ability to fill swirls. It does good with minor ones, and even better, keeping future swirls down to a minimum.

One bottle of Z5 or Z2 should yield you at least 10 coats. Learn to apply it thin, and you should get at least 15. ZFX will treat about 16 ounces of polish, so one bottle each of all that should last you a while. Also, you don`t need to use ZFX with EVERY coat, although you should use it for the first one, and every 5 or so at minimum, or when ever you want a quick cure to apply multiple layers in one day.

Basically ZFX provides an instant cure time so that up to 3 layers can be applied in one day. It also adds gloss, and quicker drying times.

As for Z7 wash and Z6 quick detailer, if you use them once a week they should last a few months..........

imported_memnuts
03-20-2002, 09:07 AM
SMR to check for clear coat

one bottle each of Z2 and Z5 should give 20 -30 coats total if applied properly ( very, very thinly).

Z6 is very concentrated and requires very little per QD event

Z7 is also very concentrated and requires only 2 cap fulls / wash.

I do not use that ZFX because I can not see myself applying more than 1 coat in a day. Also I like the cleansing effect that Z1 has which I apply after every 7 - 8 coats of Z2/Z5. I will probably get some just to see if there is an improved shine ( I can`t imagine a better shine than I already get with Z) after using ZFX

Hope this helps.

P.S. I do not think we are a cult but extremely satisfied users. Sal`s products are in a word GREAT. :D

gmblack3
03-20-2002, 09:58 AM
I can get 6 coats from 1oz of Z2 w/ ZFX 3 on Z06 and 3 on 540. Just use it very thin! I tried putting it on thick once on the 540 and it was a PITA to remove. (not bad but more difficult than thin coats)

I also cut Z6 50/50 with distilled water for after wash use. I still use it full strength between coats of Z2.