PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for (partly)clear skies

dan45hk
03-16-2002, 03:12 PM
hi everybody,

i just subscribed to the forum a few days ago. so far i`ve only used turtle wax and armor all. however, after reading the forums for a week, i decided to upgrade to better products. turns out that its snowing here in seattle this weekend(snow is very rare here). anyway as soon as the sky clears and i have some time, i`m going to see what i can do. right now i am limiting what i buy to off-the-shelf stuff(yes, i`m not a true autopian yet).

This is what i have:

MGC Car wash

meguiars step 1 cleaner

mothers sealer and glaze

mgc wax

i am working on a 96 taurus and maybe a 93 chrysler town & country

any extra stuff i should buy? also what do you think about the craftsman ROBs? i am thinking of buying a ROB but don`t want to spend too much.

thanks

imported_BretFraz
03-16-2002, 06:26 PM
Hi and welcome to the club.

When it comes to buffers, spending the $$ on the best available is the way to go. The cheap $39 buffers simply won`t cut it - not enough torque to do any good. I think the best Craftsman buffer is around $100. I have one that`s about 20 years old and is still kicking. Consider looking for a used one; maybe check out e-Bay.

I think you can do a fine job using basic store bought products. Brands like Meguiar`s, Eagle One, 3M, and Mothers all make good quality products that are easy to find locally and don`t cost an arm and a leg. Many of the more experienced Autopians use the expensive boutique-type products which are great but perhaps overkill for the casual enthusiast.

Getting good results is actually more about technique and hard work than fancy products. I highly recommend David`s e-book, Autopia Guide to Detailing. For $20 its a terrific introduction to all aspects of detailing. I think this should be mandatory for all newbies to detailing. Here`s the link:
Detailing e-book (`http://www.autopia-carcare.com/`)

Spend some time reading thru the posts, especially the archives. There`s a tremendous amount of info there.

Oh, and have some kettle corn for me at Safeco. Maybe a steak at Daniel`s if you can afford it.:D

dan45hk
03-17-2002, 05:06 PM
thanks for replying

is 37 f too cold for applying wax

titus
03-17-2002, 11:00 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

is 37 f too cold for applying wax</blockquote>

Well 37F sure is too cold for ME to apply wax! However if YOU can hack it, I guess the carnauba can too.:D