PDA

View Full Version : Claying with dawn?

bjwebster
03-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Well I did a full detail..details in previous post...but was not totally satisfied.

I had a little smr hazing, and I dont think I clayed well enough. I have aio and sg on the car right now.

I will dawn wash tommorrow then clay, smr, etc.

Do yall think it would be beneficial to use dawn as a clay lube. Maybe it would strip better?

I also have some mothers lube, p21s car shampoo and pinnacle car shampoo. I was looking for the best route possible. I was thinking that I could wash with dawn and then use it as a lube and I would save some steps. If this is bad, I have no interest! Only whats best for the car!

What do you think would be the best solution??

:nixweiss

I really appreciate all the input and information I get on this site!

**autopia rocks**

Brad B
03-08-2002, 09:14 PM
Are you expecting the clay to strip coats of wax or something? It is not designed for this. It`s sole purpose is to pull out embedded debris in the surface not strip away layers. Dawn is not the best lube. It`s not usually consistant enough to be a great lube. Most auto shampoos are better.

bjwebster
03-08-2002, 09:22 PM
No..I am not looking for it to remove wax...

I was planning to do a dawn wash then clay then smr. I was just wondering if anyone found it beneficial. When I originally clayed I think I did a spotty job and wanted to go at it again and then polish out a few remaining hazy spots and swirls. When looking at the paint in the sunlight I can still see some contaninants I think the clay could take care of.

Brad B
03-08-2002, 10:21 PM
I got it. What clay and lube did you use? Did you use overlapping motions and nead the clay over often?

bjwebster
03-08-2002, 10:29 PM
I used mothers clay and lube. I was just not overly thorough with it. Now that the surface looks so clean i can see contaminants quite clearly. I didnt overlap to much, I kneaded it, but will do everyting more throughly tommorrow.

ROUND 2