PDA

View Full Version : Zaino experience

Lone Wolf
03-08-2002, 02:04 PM
I tried Z for the first time today. I have been using BF/Blitz with great results but wanted to try Z to see what the differences were. I used Z5/Zfx (3 coats) and used Z6 in between. I didn`t do a Z2 coat because I want to put down some more coats of Z5.

I used the PC with the gray pad and did 3 coats with 1/2 oz. I mixed the Z5/Zfx in a 60cc syringe and spritzed the pad with Z6 after each panel. This REALLY made a big difference. I got thin even coats by using the Z6. Before applying the Z I clayed and used some FI II to get some minor swirls out..then Dawn washed the truck. I used MF`s from Yo Steve to remove the Z..

Mixing the Zfx/Z5 was the only negative...and in reality it was no big deal...The syringe really helps in measuring precise amounts and using every last drop..there is absoultely NO waste when using the syringe.

The shine is VERY reflective..more than the BF but not as deep..which is what I expected..The Z is definitely slicker than BF. The main reason in trying Z was to compare durability with BF. I have Bf on my wife`s car now so I will keep a watch on it.

For future QD`ing Im going to stick with OGSO..I will use Z6 only when appling more coats of Z

MikeLS
03-08-2002, 02:35 PM
I think you`ll be really impressed with the fact that Zaino is very durable and holds it`s shine and slickness for months with regular maintanence, i.e. washing, QDing. And, I won`t be surprised at all if you report back after a while that Zaino is still slick and shiny while BF seems all but gone.

Keep us posted on your findings, it`s always good when you can compare products in head to head battle, so to speak. From what I`ve seen the BF shine is quite impressive, but I don`t think I can easily give up the serious beading and longevity that Zaino affords on a daily driver.

:xyxthumbs

imported_Wes
03-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Park you car under a street light at night and it glows by grabbing all the light it could find.

See if you get the same look at night compared with Blackfire.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Mike...Durability was my main reason for trying Z...Honestly the difference between the Z shine and BF shine is minimal...I would be happy with either one...I think I may apply Z5 a little thicker on my next few coats I used the PC and got very thin coats..I guess thats good right??:p

Gti..BF gives off a nice shine at night....but I just went out and saw the Z at night and it definitely does glow!!:D

imported_memnuts
03-09-2002, 09:02 AM
Keep the layers thin. No improvement with thick applications. Only wasting Z5. 2 thin layers of Z5 is better than 1 thick layer.

Zaino Rule #1: Thinner is Better!! :cool:

I still think that Zaino and PC is very wasteful and does not improve results. A very little Z6 on a 100% cotton applicator will give you thin layers and complete coverage in one step. By hand most cars can be done in less than 15 mins. max. JMO.

TortoiseAWD
03-09-2002, 10:51 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by blkZ28Conv [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Keep the layers thin. No improvement with thick applications. Only wasting Z5. 2 thin layers of Z5 is better than 1 thick layer.
Zaino Rule #1: Thinner is Better!! :cool:
I still think that Zaino and PC is very wasteful and does not improve results. A very little Z6 on a 100% cotton applicator will give you thin layers and complete coverage in one step. By hand most cars can be done in less than 15 mins. max. JMO. [/b]</blockquote>blk,

He did get 3 layers from 1/2 oz . . . pretty frugal, imo. You`re right about it not improving the results, though: by hand or by PC, it ends up looking great. When I use the PC to apply, it`s strictly for convenience and speed (usually when I`m trying to get several layers on in the same day). I don`t have any expectation that the PC layers are going to look better, only that my shoulder won`t be as tired :D

Tort

Lone Wolf
03-09-2002, 11:23 AM
I applied 2 more coats of Z5 today and I still get much thinner coats with the PC..I tried one layer by hand and it went on easily but I could not get as thin as with the PC....I like the PC because it is quick to use, especially if you are layering 3 coats in one day..

As far as wasting..I don`t buy that argument because when I washed out the pad after I was done there was hardly anything coming out..usually when I wash the pad after using SMR you can see the excess product coming out of the pad while wringing it out..When using the PC I am using no pressure so the Z is not soaking into it..Also the PC is set on 2..

I think its pretty good getting 3 coats on a pickup with 1/2 oz:p

JonB
03-09-2002, 01:19 PM
What are you washing the BF car with? I canned the BF wash and have been using Z7 with much better results! The shine and slickness of the BF have lasted much longer. I like Zaino, but I really think that BF depth of shine is much more pleasing (at least in my eyes). I`m still evaluating the Z also. I found that when I washed the car today, the water was not beading very well on the hood. It was beading every where else... So I just put on another layer of Z2 to see what happens.

H

Lone Wolf
03-09-2002, 03:16 PM
Ive used both the BF wash and Gold Class..I really didnt notice a difference between the two...

The BF shine is a little deeper than Z but honestly there really isn`t a big difference to me..Actually the Z seems to reflect colors better than BF..im really splitting hairs here!!

My main reason for trying Z was that I wasn`t impressed with BF`s slickness and loss of shine..when I topped it with Blitz it made the BF 100X better and slicker...

JonB
03-09-2002, 11:21 PM
I just don`t understand why you need to top a sealant with wax. I did it with Klasse/Souveran and Blitz. The shine is pretty much the same as if you just used the wax. So the protection lasts longer because when the wax is depleted, you still have the sealant. But then you need to reapply the wax to get the shine back the way you like it. So why not just use the wax and skip the sealant since you will be applying it every 6 weeks or so anyways?????

I have given up on topping with wax because BF gives the same or better shine as wax and I can refresh the shine periodically with a new layer just as easily (or easier) than with wax.

Zaino is supposed to have a more durable shine, but with less depth. You can`t use wax over Zaino because it deteriorates the Z and decreases the durability.

If I want to go back to the wax look, I will be skipping the sealant and just layer the Souveran and/or Blitz.

H

MikeLS
03-09-2002, 11:35 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bigboyhf [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I just don`t understand why you need to top a sealant with wax. So why not just use the wax and skip the sealant since you will be applying it every 6 weeks or so anyways?????

If I want to go back to the wax look, I will be skipping the sealant and just layer the Souveran and/or Blitz.

H [/b]</blockquote>
Well, I think the main reason to use a sealant first is because the quality sealants offer UV protection, which is very important IMO, especially in hot climates. Carnauba offers no UV protection and will melt off the surface in hot temps. So, even one layer of a sealant would be better than none if you`re going to use carnauba. At least there will be a protective coating underneath the carnauba that will last for a while.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2002, 11:35 PM
Wax by itself doesn`t give the clear reflections like a sealant does. By using BF you get the reflections and the look of a carnuba...When I added Blitz it enhanced the BF enough to notice..Also BF looses its slickness and shine quicker than I had hoped..The Blitz gave it the slickness and helped prolong the shine...IMHO

The shine of Z is really not that different to me..The only thing is that it is not as deep as BF..Im really splitting haris with that!! BUT so far, Z has done better at covering up minor swirls and if the durability is what everyone claims, then I will stick with the Z. I don`t plan on adding a topper to Z..I shouldn`t have to if it is as durable as everyone says...

Also sealants provide more protection than carnuba..

JonB
03-10-2002, 11:14 AM
UV protection.... OK, I didn`t think about that. :o So one layer of sealant under wax would be the way to go if you wanted wax on top.

As for the difference in shine between BF and Zaino, IMHO, I think there is more than just a little. I`m not saying that I don`t like the Z shine, but it is definitely different! I am very satisfied with the Z on the bimmer. I also would like to add that I am very impressed with Z5`s swirl hiding properties....probably a bit better than Klasse SG or BF. So maybe a couple of layers of Z5 and then top with BF?? Might be an interesting experiment....

I will also have to make a point to try Blitz over BF. I know that Blitz is a killer look, but having seen both Blitz and BF seperately, I feel they are pretty much equivalent, so unless the combo makes it even better than that, I wouldn`t top BF with anything. I have found that substituting BF wash with Z7 significantly extends the durability of shine and slickness with BF, so no need for wax topper for me. If anything, I would just ad another layer of BF.

H

Lone Wolf
03-10-2002, 11:22 AM
My truck is fire red...So when I tried the Blitz it really made a difference to me..obviously different colors may not have the same effect..I would give the Blitz a try though...

Don`t get me wrong I like the BF look and its very easy to apply..I am disappointed in the slickness and loss of shine..However I don`t think that because of the lack of those two things that the BF is not there protecting the paint. Thats why I wanted to try Z.

As I said before, to me there is a difference in shines but it is minimal to my eye..so far!! Besides I can always go back to the Blitz/BF combo!!

:rolleyes:

Hmmmm..BF over Z:D