PDA

View Full Version : Security system

John0087
02-28-2002, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

I own a 2001 BMW 330i with no type of secutiry system. I just found out that I am getting a tax refund this year and I am going to be a good boy and get a system instaed of something cool like rims, etc. Anyways, I really don`t want an alam, so any advise on lo-jack would be apprecieted. Info on cost, reliability, and alternates.

Thanks

Lemonxxs
02-28-2002, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the forum!

There was a thread a while ago about Lojack. I think FLONI started it. You may want to look at it and see if any members said they had it. Maybe they could shed you some more info.

BradE
02-28-2002, 02:32 PM
Check out www.lojack.com for coverage areas and a local dealer near you. Last time I checked it cost around $600 installed.

allen aikens jr.
02-28-2002, 03:05 PM
John0087,

Welcome to the forum!!

I have Lojack on one of my cars. Had it installed when I bought the car. They installed it and I couldn`t tell you where it is. They came to my house. I received all the paperwork and authenication for the system. After I had it installed, my other car was stolen out of my driveway!!:eek:

The car was recovered so I started researching car alarms to have one installed in it. I asked about Lojack for that car and a car alarm dealer brought up a good point. When is a car usually stolen? At night. So, you wake up the next morning to find your car stolen, first thing, if you have Lojack installed, you do is call the police to activate Lojack to locate your vehicle. Well, by the time the police locate it, it could every well be stripped to the chassis, if the theives are professionals.

Well, I spoke with the guy that was rewiring my recovered car about what would be the best thing to get. And he said that before he opened a wiring shop he used to install custom alarms in high end cars in Beverly Hills. He recommended installing a kill switch known only to the owner of the vehicle. This switch would have to be activated before the car could even be started.

Hope this helps.

(I`m finally done adding my $.02 worth):D

miguelgf
02-28-2002, 04:51 PM
I also think I remember someone (DetailKing?) mentioning that the BMW`s are equipped with a wiring harness for the alarm, that`s mostly plug and play (just buy the alarm, plug it in, and voila - alarm for $250). I know you mentioned the alarm wasn`t a priority - but at that cost, you might consider it.

Just a thought - otherwise, here in NYC - people are pretty big on LoJack. I`d have gotten it if my car didn`t come pre-equipped with something similar.

allen aikens jr.
02-28-2002, 05:47 PM
<strong class=`bbc`><blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

I know you mentioned the alarm wasn`t a priority - but at that cost, you might consider it. [/b]</blockquote>
I agree with JohnN. At what cost?:scared

John0087
02-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Cost isn`t a major issue. Yes, with the BMW you can just plug in and go. I was hoping to get some more security. Is an alarm really worth it? I have my doubts. I was just wondering if any here (and I truely hope not....nock on fine wood trim and a perfectly carbuba waxed hood :D ) has had to use their lojack system? For that mater, is the lojack worth it?

Thanks

hkross
02-28-2002, 11:02 PM
go to www.crankandcrome.com the showed a alarm on ther show last week that was awsome.

Don2000g
02-28-2002, 11:25 PM
Sorry to change the subject oh so slightly, but has anyone ever tried that product advertised on an infomerical that acts as a "Club" for your brake. Can`t remember the name though. Laters

allen aikens jr.
03-01-2002, 11:12 AM
I`ve never had to use my lojack.

I`m happy to say!!

LOL !! (I`m knocking on the fine wood trim and a perfectly carbuba waxed hood!):D