PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh...first black car...

Pages : [1] 2

jamie
02-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Hello. After three silver and black Porsche cabs and one silver and black BMW cab, I am taking delivery tomorrow of a carbon black M3.

I am truly anal and want to avoid swirls and scratches. I have instructed the dealer not to touch the car prior to delivery. My intention is to apply the usual Zaino stuff and (folllowing the advice of a poster on another forum) wash the car as much as possible using a pressure washer and leaf blower to avoid touching it.

My question: Is there anything else I should do now to prep or treat the paint to minimize swirls, scratches, etc?

Thanks in advance.

--Jamie

Michael H
02-27-2002, 09:42 PM
Take a look here:

http://autopia-carport.com/Detailing-Articles/Perfect%20Shine.htm (`http://autopia-carport.com/Detailing-Articles/Perfect%20Shine.htm`)

Preachers Sheets
02-28-2002, 08:14 AM
Well if you get the car without swirls you can seal it right away with a nice sealent such as Klasse, Zaino or BlackFire. After that, if you do happen to get swirls and if they are in the sealent (there is basically no way around it, everyone gets swirls) you can just clean the panel or the whole car and layer more sealent which would fix the swirls.

I get swirls from just washing, very very very few but I still get them, all I need to do is throw on another layer of Klase Glaze and it takes care of them.

Remember, once you layer wax the sealent may not apply correctly. I don`t have any hard evidence of this but I have heard this to be correct.

dengelson
03-01-2002, 08:29 AM
Remember to go easy with the pressure washer. They have adjustable pressure so start off with the lowest pressure. My experience is that a pressure wash will not remove all of the dirt from your car but it will knock off the big stuff before hand washing which can feasably lessen scratching. Have you heard about the two bucket method for washing?

jamie
03-02-2002, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the assistance guys.

I think I`m pretty good at washing. If more than dust, it goes to the car spray wash first for a ten minute spray, then, at home - hose in one hand and mitt in the other - constant flow of water resulting in me getting wetter than the car! If there`s a better way, I`m all ears!:bow

Once I get all my stuff, I assume I need drying towel, Z remover and applicator? I understand big blue and viper are popular for the first two - what is recommended as an applicator? Is big blue really safer than the sim shammies I have been using?

Thanks again. Jamie

Lowejackson
03-02-2002, 03:55 PM
<strong class=`bbc`>carbon black M3[/b] :up :bow

Please post some before and after pictures.

Steven

jamie
03-02-2002, 04:11 PM
Hey Steven, It`s brand new with only 125 km. after driving home. The before better be the same as the after or I`m axing for a refund!;)

rstype
03-02-2002, 04:40 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum, Jamie!

Your washing process sounds okay, just <strong class=`bbc`>be careful[/b]. Today’s modern clearcoats are extremely easy to swirl or scratch, and the majority of these imperfections are caused from improper washing techniques. Its good to have your new M3’s paint start with a good beginning.

Many of us like using the two-bucket method. One bucket is filled with car wash solution and water, and the other bucket with water. This will help keep the mitt and suds as clean as possible. Be sure to still rinse the mitt and car regularly.

As far as drying, remove the spray nozzle from the hose and flood the paint with a stream of water allowing it to sheet off. Any remaining water can be “blotted†with your synthetic chamois. Don’t drag! Then finish off with a quality microfiber towel or 100% cotton terry towel. Some of us like parking on a slight incline.

When applying any polish or wax, I like foam applicators the most. They are easy to wash and spreads product more evenly than cotton ones.

Happy detailing,
~bw

Lemonxxs
03-02-2002, 05:55 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

To apply Z use either a cotton terry app or foam or MF app. Everyone has their favorite and I have used all 3 and prefer the foam.

To remove Z or any wax or sealant get you some high quality Micro Fiber towels.

DO a search and you should find tons of info on here.

blackrex
03-03-2002, 06:37 PM
I`m on my 4th black car. I must be a glutton for punishment. Best advice is to wash it as much as possible using 100% cotten or preferably microfiber to dry. Let the water sheet off with a hose first then blot do not wipe dry. Black shows everything fingerprints, dust 10 mins after u wash. etc. Keep it clean and don`t let anyone touch it:p My brother and laws kid thought it was cool the way the water beaded on my black and decided to wipe of the hood with his hand and jacket sleeve:eek: Oh joy that`ll take a few hours to fix. Good luck with it sweet car. Just try to relax its gonna get swirls.:up

TonyTahoe
03-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Or another option on drying is to get out the backpack leaf blower and blast away. I try to do this when no one is watching `cause its a little to anal for even me! Then I microfibre what little is left.

94turboz28
05-30-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by blackrex

I`m on my 4th black car... Black shows everything fingerprints, dust 10 mins after u wash. etc. Keep it clean and don`t let anyone touch it:p

Re: fingerprints....

Ok, I have kids that get in an out of my truck... so of course they open the door, and get their fingerprints on the sides. I can`t avoid them doing this... To wipe off, do i just use an MF? It`s the first thing I see when i approach my truck. Fingerprints on a black truck... thx!

C. Charles Hahn
05-30-2002, 02:35 PM
use an MF with some QD spray, thats about the only thing that will take care of it. :up

blackrex
05-30-2002, 03:39 PM
Yup what SLP said QD and a microfiber for fingerprints

jomonjoe
05-30-2002, 03:54 PM
Is a california water blade ok on a black car.