PDA

View Full Version : Help ... Carpet Dye

kimwallace
06-23-2004, 09:17 AM
I had a new container of deck cleaner on the floor of the car and the lid wasn`t tight ... long story, short. It tipped and bleached out the color of the carpet.
Where can I buy dye to recolor the carpet???

CharlesW
06-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by kimwallace
I had a new container of deck cleaner on the floor of the car and the lid wasn`t tight ... long story, short. It tipped and bleached out the color of the carpet.
Where can I buy dye to recolor the carpet??? Premium Auto Care has it listed.

Charles

:wait :wait
Had it listed. I didn`t find it on the site just now. The brand might have been SEM or something similar. Looks like PAC may have dropped it from their inventory.

C.

stainbuster
06-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Hey kimwallace,

Bummer to hear that. Couple q`s:

How long did the deck cleaner set in the carpet?

Did you shampoo/exctract/vaccuum most of it?

Dumb question, but is the deck cleaner clorinated, like bleach?

If the color`s already gone, there is a chance that the carpet fibers will detach themselves from the backing. I see this a lot in SUV`s hatches. Two options off the top of my head:

Aerosol dye, like SEM. Or water-based like we use. Upsides and downsides for both. If the spill has set for a while and the chemical not neutralized, the water-based isn`t going to be the best bet.

Can you post pics? I do quite a bit of carpet dye, hopefully I can help.

Regards,
Mike

dr_detail
06-23-2004, 09:56 AM
I`ve used PRO Dyes (http://www.prowax.com/dyes.shtml) with good results... hope this helps.

shotime
06-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by dr_detail
I`ve used PRO Dyes (http://www.prowax.com/dyes.shtml) with good results... hope this helps.

I LOVE those!!! I was told they quit making them. Is that fact or is the distributor just not wanting to take my order? He always had to special order them.

dr_detail
06-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Yeah they do -- Give `em a call directly, (800) 437-9893. I think Walt still runs the place... it`s been a while since I`ve been down to Santa Ana though. They might like to hear what your local distributor is saying ;)

Bob
06-23-2004, 12:51 PM
You can usaully get carpet dyes at a good automotive paint supply shop or a good automotive trim shop.

kimwallace
06-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the help ...
Yes it does have clorine or sme type of bleach in it ... the carpet now has a white spot instead of being a dark tan.
I don`t have an extractor but did wet down and wet vac ... I will do it again not that it has dried out.
SORRY, no pics.
I looked on PAC`s website and didn`t find anything ... so I will shop around a little.
I ususally don`t use the car as a chemical hauler.
Thanks again!

shotime
06-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by dr_detail
Yeah they do -- Give `em a call directly, (800) 437-9893. I think Walt still runs the place... it`s been a while since I`ve been down to Santa Ana though. They might like to hear what your local distributor is saying ;)

It`s the liquid dye, not the spray. But I`ll have to check into it now. They`re also a Car Brite distributor and pretty much what he says is on the truck is all they can get. Last time I checked you don`t become a distributor for an entire line and only stock some of the products.

Detail_Doc
06-24-2004, 11:46 AM
This Chemical Corp. that I know of has a product that is not a dye or a paint but rejuvinates the colors in the carpet and I have even seen it repair bleached out carpets. contact them at
some phone number. i`d tell you, but its spam and The Fuzz would probably kick me off the forum. Whoops... too late.