PDA

View Full Version : Older car - Klasse or Zaino?

imported_Greg
02-24-2002, 05:43 PM
I am using Z on both our 2002 cars. I am deciding what to use on my wife`s 1998 Accord. The car has over 100,000 miles (all highway) and has a fair amount of rock chips. There are swirls also, but because the car is light beige, the swirls aren`t terribly noticeable. However, there is a good deal of water spotting. The car has been detailed kept up pretty well with carnauba (blitz and meguiars).

I plan to use Meguiar`s Medallion Paint Cleaner, then either

AIO/SG or Z5/Z2 (all with a PC).

I want to make the move over to synthetic. The question is... Klasse or Zaino? Zaino is awesome on cars that have excellent finishes. However, I understand that Z magnifies any problem areas.

Anyone have any experience with using these synthetics on older cars? Which would you recommend?

MikeLS
02-24-2002, 06:00 PM
I think Z makes older cars look really good personally. The key is proper surface prep and regular upkeep. If you give it a good claying, proper SMRing, and maybe thorough cleaning (if needed) you`ll have a good base for Z to bring out a wonderful shine. Zaino (and proper prepping) has sure made my older Camaro look better than most new cars I see on the road. Makes one feel kinda proud actually...

:xyxthumbs

JasonC8301
02-24-2002, 06:11 PM
On an older car I tend to reach for the Klasse. It just depends on my mood. For your situtation I recommend trying to tackle all the problem first, and maybe try your techniques with the PC and polishes and cutting pads (cutting foam or wool.)

For the water spots, try some vinegar to remove the deposits. If it etched (most likely), you will have to polish them out with an abrasive polish.

The sealing with a synthetic will prolong the life of this car`s paint job, and increase re-sale value. K or Z will work well. 90% of most jobs are preparation. If the surface is bad, any sealant will perform poorly, unless you ar elooking for a cleaner/sealant that will make the beater a little better but not invest the time, but this is Autopia!

I have not heard of Zaino making imperfections show up more (but I only will use Zaino on cars that have been prepared very well, minimal swirling for Z-5 to hide, smooth glossy surface.)

Here is a 1992 beige camry that has been clayed, hood was polished with 3M Finesse it II and foam cutting pad with PC. I gave up, paint was too hard to work with, and the siwrls were very un-noticable. Klasse AIO by PC and polishing pad, 3 coats of Klasse SG with finishing pad and PC (no Qd or water to help remove wanted a workout (cotton towel), easier with 45 minutes dry time and an hour between coats, a damp MF and a dry MF would of helped a whole bunch) all this in 8 hours. In the following 3 weeks I layed down lots of carnauba (2X Souveran, 1x Blitx, 2X Paste Glaz) I have these pictures somewhere. I will post them before I leave for boot camp.

Klasse (1X AIO PC 3X SG PC all within 8 hours, based on this I will stick to hand application of SG - no carnauba topper.

http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00A/44/B8/5D/A1/N7fetJiSHGU8d-rGk0bTregiPzn7lRcY0140.jpg

http://pstr-m01.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00C/6D/22/C7/E6/OIZqYM4nMBTkbQFApnHddOuOnD+KIaDg0180.jpg

http://pstr-m01.ygpweb.aol.com/data/007/0C/21/19/06/UY4sjTNIILEt-vg8yMzZClIovTWt-aCg0180.jpg

Happy Detailing,

Jason

imported_Greg
02-24-2002, 08:17 PM
Jason... what`s the proper technique for using the vinegar? Do I apply it and then wait? Add some to the Dawn wash? Wipe on - wipe off? :confused:

BTW... that Camry looks awesome! :bow

JasonC8301
02-24-2002, 08:22 PM
For the vinegar, wash the car with a car wash soap, then mix in a spray bottle with 50/50 vinegar (white distilled) for light water spots of use it full strength. Put on some goggles, and gloves (safety reasons.) Spray down an area of the car and spread with a clean sponge. I would let is dwell on the paint for 2-3 minutes. Make sure the car is cool. Then rinse and wash again with regular car wash soap/shampoo. If this does not remove the water spots, then its etched into the surface. You will have to wetsand or polish these out of the paint, if they are deep you can minimize the look of them, but don`t set your hopes high on removing them.

Jason

JimO
02-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Alan B,

Your 1998 Accord is not old by any means. My 1990 Integra should be considered old. Anyways, this past weekend, I used Klasse on our 1994 Montero (silver) and 1990 Integra (white). Since the Montero is the only vehicle that is garaged, the paint was still in great condition. The Klasse made the paint so soft and smooth, and of course, the shine was great.

I had to Klasse the Integra on short notice and the paint felt and looked better that Blackfire. The Integra was not cared for by the original owner, but Klasse made it look presentable again.

Our 2001 Accord is the same car as your wife`s. Different color, but still very close in age. I used Zaino on it last week and it really made the paint shinier and very reflective. You already know how great Zaino is, so I won`t tell you the facts.

My point is....Zaino or Klasse will both be great on that 1998 Accord. If you only have Zaino on your shelf, I would just stick with Zaino. And if you want to try out Klasse (what I did), go for it. You really can`t go wrong on those 2 great products.

Don2000g
02-24-2002, 10:49 PM
Very nice pics Jason. Who knows whenever I`m by College Station, I`ll ALLOW YOU the privilege of detailing my car. Laters buddy.