PDA

View Full Version : Polishing exhaust tips

Dream Machines73
02-24-2002, 12:26 AM
First off, could some one tell me what my stock 2001 WS6 exhaust tips are made out of(chrome,steel,aluminum etc...) and/or how I can tell?

Also, what would you guys recommend that I use to polish my stock 2001 WS6 tips and any tips/techniques that you guys use when polishing them?

nerdhunters
02-24-2002, 10:34 AM
I just tried the Luster Lace cloth strips and am very happy with the results. My exhaust tips are stainless steel.

imported_BretFraz
02-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Someone here may know what they`re made of but it`s really a question for the online Trans Am/Z28 clubs. Someone there will provide an answer.

As for polishing, assuming they`re not plastic or carbon fiber or something;) , metal polishes like Mothers, Eagle One, Wenol, P21S, and Happich will all do a great job. Use a soft cloth or try some #000 super fine steel wool. I had a Mustang LX 5.0 and used to polish the exhaust pipes with Mothers and steel wool and they looked awesome.

Detailing NY
02-24-2002, 12:14 PM
I use Meguiar`s chrome polish for all chrome parts. I works great. To bring out the shine even more i use a foam polishing pad on low speed and buff the chrome with the chrome polish. It works great and no swirls.

tldesigner
02-24-2002, 05:05 PM
I`d suggest using Wendol... the best metal polish I`ve found/used.

Be warned though... I started polishing my exhaust tips and the stuff works so well and easy that before long I was on my back, under the car, polishing the tail pipes all the way back to the muffler.

02-24-2002, 06:02 PM
Try using Brasso - I dont know if you can get hold of it over there - but it is good stuff and is specifically made for chrome, aluminium, brass, etc... You simply apply it on a rag and spread it evenly on the exhaust muffler and buff off immediately (it drys to a haze in seconds)

J.R

JasonC8301
02-24-2002, 06:29 PM
Hey John, Yes Brasso is available over here in the states. Almost anywhere they sell hardware (Home Depot, Ace, mom and pop type stores, even in the supermarket, and X-mart type stores.) $3 US for a can at HomeDepot the last time I checked.

I think its a little too fine for polishing neglected exaust pipes, but is a good cleaner for up-kept exaust pipes.

After you polish out these metal parts, put on a coat of sealant to protect them and make subsequent cleanings easier.

I took a foam pad put it onto a drill and some rubbing compound ont he tail pipe. Two passes and 9 years of carbon deposits and other black/brown stuff was gone to reveal a stanless steel/chrome coating on it (92 Camry.) This was only for the easily reachable parts though. I will try to clean them this spring with all purpose cleaner (EF Hi or Omni all purpose) first.

Jngrbrdman
02-24-2002, 06:50 PM
The tip on my Acura is stainless steel. I use GS27 to shine it up. I have 3 coats of Klasse on it right now. There was a thread about using SG on chrome and I didn`t think that it would work. After so many people said that the SG would work, I decided to try it. It looks awesome.

Preachers Sheets
02-25-2002, 12:22 PM
Your tips are stainless steel. I have a 1999 Camaro SS with tips like yours.

Any kind of metal polish will do, you can probaly find the "mothers" brand or "Never-Dul" at stores like AutoZone or Pepboys.