PDA

View Full Version : Can this leather be repaired?

Pages : [1] 2

Jngrbrdman
02-21-2002, 09:29 PM
This is the driver seat in my car. The leather has become sort of cracked in that one spot. I don`t remember when I first noticed it but it is possible it was like that when I bought the car. Is there any fix for it?? How to I keep it from getting any worse?
http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OwBuBjMTRgsxWb7cc*Krey9V*UnySXY5DnQYkHBZ13Oi*8d5f mSXfjvfv3N3MLJO1nVtcpiUbTIclc3PFvpb7grSYTU!Oskx/106-0619_IMG.JPG

db2
02-21-2002, 10:03 PM
My previous car a 99 integ and a buddies from work a 98 integ both have that prob on the driver`s seat only. Have seen many used integs at the car lots with this same problem. Think Honda used cheap leather on the integra.

miguelgf
02-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Send them an e-mail - those guys are *GREAT*. You can send them a link to the pic, and they`ll tell you exactly which of their products you need.

http://www.leatherique.com (`http://www.leatherique.com`)

I think you need the crack filler (giggle), the dye, and of course - the rejuvenator oil and prestine clean. I used them on my wife`s Accord this past weekend (with seats that looked *just* like yours). Not the dye or the filler - just the oils. Believe it or not - it actually made the cracks look much better. Now, I`m going to follow up with some 303.

If the baby will give me at least 5 minutes break, I`ll run out tomorrow and take a pic to show you the diff.

Jngrbrdman
02-21-2002, 10:38 PM
Man, Just to repair that one little spot will cost me like a million bucks in chemicals and stuff. Do you think that a detail shop would have what I need?

Preachers Sheets
02-22-2002, 07:56 AM
Where I live there is a group of people selling leather interiors from Integra`s like yours for 350.00, they have less than 10,000 miles on them and usally are perfect. My buddy bought a set, they were in like new condition though....

The only downside is they are stolen. I wouldn`t buy them myself, I wouldn`t want a theif to return the favor to someone else by stealing something from my car to sell on the street. But heck, they`re cheap as anything. I know factory price is something over the moon.

Jngrbrdman
02-22-2002, 12:46 PM
I think the price of recieving stolen goods will be a little higher than the leather repair stuff. ;) I don`t think it needs to be replaced just yet. I don`t even notice it unless I`m cleaning my car. I can go for a long time without even remembering it is there. I guess I`ll just have to live with it.

I wonder what it is that causes that flaw? It has to be more than cheap leather or else the whole seat would be doing that. Weird, eh?

mooredriven
02-22-2002, 12:54 PM
i can`t be of much assistance on repairing that, but i recall my father`s Lincoln Mark VII`s leather looked like that.

i`m praying the gray leather in my jetta doesn`t start cracking, especially in this heat.

Lemonxxs
02-22-2002, 03:13 PM
Maybe the leather was from really old wrinkled cows????:D

JonB
02-22-2002, 04:26 PM
If those are cracked thru, then you will need the crack filler from Leatherique and then dye it to match. They match the color if you send them a 1" square swatch of the leather (cut from under the seat). If they are just wrinkles, then the Leatherique Oil and Clean products will help a lot. Won`t take the wrinkles out, but will make them much less noticeable and help to prevent them from progressing to cracks.

How old is the car? If it is still under warranty, then they should fix that. I had peeling of leather on the steering wheel on my Mustang and they gave me a new wheel!

H

Jngrbrdman
02-22-2002, 06:38 PM
I`m going to look into that. Acura has an awesome warantee. I think it is like 50K or something. I`ll look into it. That didn`t even cross my mind... Thanks for the reminder. :):up

miguelgf
02-22-2002, 07:35 PM
Good luck man - my wife`s Honda started cracking (driver and passenger front seats) well within her warranty - and they refused to honor it, saying that the cracking was `normal wear and tear` which isn`t covered.

Not that I`m saying they won`t - but be prepared to meet resistance.

C. Charles Hahn
02-22-2002, 07:40 PM
I have slight cracking on my blazer...... but it was that way when I bought it, and I couldnt afford a new one to keep up from the get-go..... I`ll just pray I can keep it under control in the michigan multi-climate. :rolleyes: :xyxthumbs

Jngrbrdman
02-22-2002, 07:40 PM
I`ll have to go armed. :) Maybe if I put a couple swords near the passenger seat they will fear me. Or maybe they`ll just arrest me. I guess we`ll have to find out. ;) Integras have a 50K warantee so I`m going to try to cash in on that first. The Acura dealership sort of owes me a favor so maybe they`ll cooperate. Or maybe I`ll have to break out the swords..... http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/images/smilies/naughty.gif

JonB
02-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Most dealerships are pretty lenient on warranty work because I think they still make a profit from the company. That "cracking" might just be labeled as "normal" spider webbing and wear and tear. Or they may have a leather guy that repairs stuff like that. Or they will show you how to shift gears with your butt.... :nixweiss

H

C. Charles Hahn
02-22-2002, 09:27 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bigboyhf [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Or they will show you how to shift gears with your butt....
H [/b]</blockquote>
LMAO! you really dont wanna know the mental picture I just got...... :eek: :scared