PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a brand newbie

deserttoy
02-21-2002, 08:09 PM
I`m getting ready to do my brand new red car this weekend. 2 questions: 1) will AIO get any or all of the cheapo wax that the dealer might have used to prep the car. 2) Because of the prep, I have some minor swirling, Again, will the AIO remove minor swirls?

Chuckmotor
02-21-2002, 08:18 PM
Tell the dealer not to do ANY kind of prep to the car. Demand that he does not wash it, wax it, or anything. Then, when you get the car, clay it and then start layering the SG (assuming the car is brand new). AIO will probably not be neccessary.

jkochis
02-21-2002, 08:58 PM
Since you already have your car, its pointless to tell the dealer not to detail it...

Anyway, the AIO might help with minor swirling. I feel that the SG helps hide them more.

Chuckmotor
02-21-2002, 09:27 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RH [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Since you already have your car, its pointless to tell the dealer not to detail it...
[/b]</blockquote>
Sorry, RH! I didn`t read the post that carefully. But I agree with you, as far as the swirling goes. SG will hide the swirls, but the AIO will help a little.

Don2000g
02-23-2002, 03:49 PM
AIO is not known for its great swirl removing or hiding properties. If the swirls are not too bad then start with the least aggressive product and only move to a more abrasive product if you don`t get the results you like. With that said, a good product to start with is 3M SMR. You may need to use 2 or 3 passes. After using this product and you get the results you like, give your car a good wash to help remove any oils that are left by the SMR. This may hinder or not allow the Klasse SG from bonding as well as it could. One of the great things about Klasse SG is that after a few coats, you reallly notice the swirl hiding abilities. However, it is simply hiding them for a while. It makes more sense to remove them with a very mild abrasive first. Hope this helps. Laters

ALM
02-23-2002, 04:33 PM
I agree with Don, AIO is a great product, but its not know for its swirl-removing properties. I would start with some PPCL or 3M SMR...if the swirls are not coming out then work your way up the 3M line.

jkochis
02-23-2002, 04:38 PM
Unless you`re certain that the bad roads, sand, and salt are over for the season, I`d wait until it`s all gone before starting on swirl remover. A good coat of AIO would be good enough until then.