PDA

View Full Version : 4runner that needs serious interior cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

jstn
06-22-2004, 08:37 AM
recently i inherited my fathers 1998 4runner. great car, but it has serious interior and exterior problems.

for the full story read this thread http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5021

so now i am left with the task of getting this car into a condition where i can actually stand driving it. (dont get me wrong, im love the car, but im obsessive about cleanliness as im sure all of you are :) )

the carpet is being completely replaced, it is beyond fixing. it has holes and stains that the best extractor could not touch. the old carpet is blue, im going to put in black carpet.

The seats have bad odor like they got wet once.They are cloth seats. does anyone know if that odor will go away with anything? Meguiars has an odor eliminator in their professional line, im thinking of trying it out. Whenever i get the seats to stop smelling, im going to cover them in black neopreen.(wetsuit material)

now the dash... the dash board is light blue and suprisingly it has no cracking, but it is very dirty.. also the plastic pieces on the dash are extremely dirty. i was thinking a dilution of apc+ (or its replacement) for cleaning, then spraying natural look or 303. for protection. can someone help me out with dilution amounts and cleaning techniques w/ the apc+?

ive never had to deal with an interior that is this dirty. i guess my dad figured it would be alright to trash it? i cant explain it. its almost embarrassing.

thanks for the help

NEW AGAIN
06-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Woolite for the interior I mix 4oz to 3gal of water, APC+ is too strong even diluted for cleaning. Both conditioner will work GOOD LUCK

eggroll
06-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Second the woolite.

jstn
06-22-2004, 04:39 PM
thanks for the woolite suggestions, ill try it out

rollman
06-22-2004, 05:36 PM
How bout some Before & Afters .:showpics

Intel486
06-22-2004, 05:39 PM
I suggest after you throughly clean the interior out you go ahead and find someone with an ozone machine and let them blast the interior. It`ll get any organic that could cause a smell.

My sister called me a long time ago to tell me she had a gallon of milk spill in the back of her car and the whole thing now smelled like sour milk. I had her go to a detailer in her area, have the car extracted and an ozone machine run in it. Sour smell no more!

jstn
06-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by rollman
How bout some Before & Afters .:showpics

i will definetly document the exterior detailing, but i already started doing the interior. maybe i can get some pictures still.

Originally posted by Intel486
I suggest after you throughly clean the interior out you go ahead and find someone with an ozone machine and let them blast the interior. It`ll get any organic that could cause a smell.

My sister called me a long time ago to tell me she had a gallon of milk spill in the back of her car and the whole thing now smelled like sour milk. I had her go to a detailer in her area, have the car extracted and an ozone machine run in it. Sour smell no more!

that sounds like what i need to do. i hope i can find someone with that in my area. thanks for the idea.

i am also pulling off some stock trim pieces that were double sided taped on. does anyone know anything that will take away the gunk left behind? would goo gone work on plastic? or would it harm it? the woolite solution couldnt touch it.

Poorboy
06-22-2004, 09:12 PM
get some Fabreeze ..refill size and pump away

jstn
06-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy
get some Fabreeze ..refill size and pump away

its beyond fixing with febreeze, i guess that can explain the severity.

Poorboy
06-22-2004, 09:41 PM
:bigscream :eek :bigscream

NEW AGAIN
06-23-2004, 06:36 AM
Heat the double sided tape with a heat gun to remove excess then use 3m Adhesive Remover to remove the rest it will not HARM the paint let soak for 20 seconds then wipe away you can find it @ your local auto body store.

jstn
06-23-2004, 08:35 AM
thanks new again, ill have to try the heat gun trick on the stubborn panel that wont come off. i wonder if lowes will have the adhesive remover.

derek37
06-24-2004, 12:50 PM
wd-40 is a good adhesive remover. Never used it on plastic though.

AMDin93103
06-24-2004, 10:23 PM
From one 4Runner owner to another, check out Yotatech.com (http://www.yotatech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60). Very cool forum and although much of it is off-road specific there are as many answers hidden in the search button. Enjoy the 4Runner and if you have any questions about the ride, email me!

Ferrarislave
06-24-2004, 10:59 PM
The forum is cool sen the topic about the SeaFoam treatment and I want to try that stuff out.