PDA

View Full Version : Re-Prep

ISLANDSBEST
02-12-2002, 11:17 PM
(Hi friends, I have not been posting, but not because I have any less affinity for the group -- I have been busy, got upgraded computer and network, etc.)

A common idea is that once you do the initial prep (Dawn, clay, etc.), it probably does not need to be redone.

I spent most of Saturday, and a hour on Sunday, redoing my car: Careful wheel cleaning, Dawn, clay with Z7 lube, wash car with Z7, Z5 w ZFX, let bake (sunny day in LA), remove Z, then Z6.

I take very good regular care of my car, but the results were impressive. It seems that over time, in spite of regular washing, QDing in morning and evening (yes!), and regular new coats of Z, some sort of subtle occlusion (a slight "fogginess" or mild haze) had built up. After the above, it was gone. The paint looked like leaded crystal.

Comments? Theories? Ideas on how frequently the above might be done?

DETAILKING
02-12-2002, 11:40 PM
That is just what is recommended. Clay over the zaino, and keep on going. You did not strip zaino completely and start over per say. DAWN does not strip zaino and clay will just thin it out or remove it in areas that have conamination. You did good....and proved an important point that has been discussed here time and time again!

I would keep layering zaino and clay 1-2 times a year as needed! no stripping required.

Andre'
02-13-2002, 04:15 AM
Sounds good info to me DK.

ultrajim49
02-13-2002, 04:34 AM
glad someone started a Zaino-thread,cause I have a Question:

can I go with clay then Z2 then Z5 and maintaining with Z6?

Do I need Z1 to start with?Or can I leave Z1 ?

:nixweiss

Andre'
02-13-2002, 05:14 AM
You don`t need to use the Z1, but i would just to be safe, that or buy some ZFX.

DETAILKING
02-13-2002, 08:53 AM
for best results use Z1 before Z2 or Z5 on the next coat you apply. Also you should be using Z1 every 5-10 coats for best results. If you have ZFX, throw out your Z1, you will never need it again!