PDA

View Full Version : What`s the best store bought wheel cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chuckmotor
02-12-2002, 10:42 PM
Ok, ok... I`ve heard it over and over EF HI is the best stuff for wheels and tires. I agree, it is good stuff. But whenever I, or anybody else, asks about other wheel cleaners we can get locally, we hear, "Well EF HI is the best." SO, what is the best wheel cleaner available locally?

jkochis
02-12-2002, 10:47 PM
Eagle One A-Z Wheel Cleaner. I have seen it at Kmart, PepBoys, and WalMart. Sorry, no pic of the bottle for ya, Chuck. ;)

db2
02-12-2002, 10:50 PM
Next I would have to say Meguiars #36 wheel cleaner or EO Aluminum Wash EO`s only acid free wheel cleaner.
http://www.eagleone.com/image/products/dbimages/pic_alum_wash.gif

Don2000g
02-12-2002, 10:50 PM
That Eagle One product does clean very well. I`ll certainly agree with that claim. I`m just not to sure of how safe it is to use over a long period of time. What I have noticed is that it doesn`t seem to smell as strong or acidic as many other wheel cleaners in the auto parts stores.

db2
02-12-2002, 10:54 PM
If you like your wheels stay away from cleaners with ACID

Don2000g
02-12-2002, 10:58 PM
Absolutely!

laynlow
02-12-2002, 11:04 PM
As far as wheels and tires go, I only use a chemical cleaner on the white lettering on the sidewall. On the rims, I use car wash shampoo and water, same as the paint (separate water, wash, and mitt of course). This works well for me, I have never had a need for anything harsher.

bmerjorge21
02-12-2002, 11:25 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RH [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Eagle One A-Z Wheel Cleaner. I have seen it at Kmart, PepBoys, and WalMart. Sorry, no pic of the bottle for ya, Chuck. ;) [/b]</blockquote>Be careful!! Acid-Based product. Cleans awesome though.

F1Crazy
02-12-2002, 11:41 PM
The best store bought wheel cleaning solution is to put some NuFinish on your rims. You can just use your car shampoo to clean them after that. It works.

Preachers Sheets
02-13-2002, 08:01 AM
Use the Castrol wheel cleaner. It is very strong (not the best but pretty good) and it is biodegradable....... seems like it is mild but it works pretty well.

drmcetta
02-13-2002, 08:20 AM
I used Meguiar`s Hotwheels couple times last year...the stuff is not very acidic (i believe it`s their mildest wheel cleaner) and it cleans the wheels very well...

but yeah, I agree, it`s safer to use your car polish or cleaners (I use Klasse AIO)..:)

Brad B
02-13-2002, 08:33 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by joed1228 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Use the Castrol wheel cleaner. It is very strong (not the best but pretty good) and it is biodegradable....... seems like it is mild but it works pretty well. [/b]</blockquote>
Be careful with Castrol. It`s acid based.

Preachers Sheets
02-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the info, what pre-cautions should be taken?

I clean the rim in halfs at a time, rinsing as I go along, the cleaner never dries on the rim.... I should be all set right?

Chuckmotor
02-13-2002, 08:57 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Langit [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I used Meguiar`s Hotwheels couple times last year...the stuff is not very acidic (i believe it`s their mildest wheel cleaner) and it cleans the wheels very well...
[/b]</blockquote>
I have used this, too. It works pretty well and it doesn`t seem TOO acidic, if it is. I find that Eagle One stuff to be very acidic and smelling bad, but I REALLY noticed a difference the first time I used it. Meguiar`s Hot Wheels is pretty good, though.

forrest@mothers
02-13-2002, 10:09 AM
Please don`t dismiss a wheel cleaner simply because it contains acid. Acid, per se, is not bad - it`s the TYPE of acid that counts.

Oxalic acid is a perfectly safe type to use on a coated or polished wheel. Hydroflouric acid, though is not. It simply depends on the type.

Also, it`s most important that the directions be followed - sprayed on a cool wheel, do one at a time, don`t let it sit on the wheel too long, etc.

Used properly, an acid based cleaner of the proper type can do a fine job of cleaning. An improper type, or even a proper type used in an improper manner, can damage the finish.

If you clean your wheels frequently (twice a week, for example), you can limit the need to use wheel cleaners. And, as others mentioned, coating your wheels with a proper type of product can help prevent brake dust and road grime from adhering to them so readily.