PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning instrument panel/gauges, what to use?

Will Dunion
02-12-2002, 03:44 PM
My plastic gauge panel gets dusty real quick so what do I use to clean it without scratching? Just water and a microfiber? Finish with 303? Or do I need to buy something like a plexi-cleaner/polisher, if so which product?

miguelgf
02-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Plexus - it ROCKS for instrument panels and LCD displays. Easy to spray in tight spots, sprays on like a foam and doesn`t drip all over the place, and for the money ($7.95) it`ll last you quite some time.

JS
02-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Like John N says Plexus is good. Use a very soft 100 % cotton cloth or microfiber to clean clear plastic---same as you would use on paint.

Brad B
02-12-2002, 05:38 PM
I use Plexus as well. Great stuf.:up

Pats300zx
02-12-2002, 05:56 PM
I have had great success with Novus Plastic Polish. The lowest grade in the blue bottle is the basic cleaner and I have used it on my tail lenses and instructment clusters. Good stuff...:xyxthumbs

imported_Intermezzo
02-12-2002, 05:56 PM
I use Stoner GUST Air Duster for weekly dusting. If there is a stain or if any cleaning is needed, I use a damp MF. The Plexus sounds really interesting though. I think I`ll try some soon.

Will Dunion
02-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I can spare $7.95 for a can of Plexus. :)

imported_BretFraz
02-12-2002, 07:40 PM
I used Plexus for the 1st time today on a friends Z3 rear window which was scummed up. While it didn`t remove all the serious scuffs it did remove the crud and leave a nice slick finish. I plan to use it on my IP and wood-applique dash. So far I`m impressed.

Plexus = :up :up

fredz3
02-12-2002, 10:39 PM
I`ve been using Meguiars #7 plastic cleaner and #10 plastic polish on my Z3 rear window. I`ve gotten very good results. The window is crystal clear .... for awhile. The gasous fumes inside the Z cause the plastic to become cloudy. My Z is only 6 mos old and I suppose I`ll suffer this problem for some time yet.

My reason for this is......will Plexus do a better, longer lasting job?

I went with Meguiars because my BMW salesman reccomended the product line to me. This is my first car that I`ve detailed.

99323ic
02-13-2002, 08:10 AM
I just use a damp MF towel and that seems to keep it clean enough for me. The above products should work great, too.

bobdec
02-13-2002, 11:05 AM
Most of the time I use a damp mf. About once a month I use the Plexus.

*MustangGT/25YRS*
02-13-2002, 02:25 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by fredz3 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I`ve been using Meguiars #7 plastic cleaner and #10 plastic polish on my Z3 rear window. I`ve gotten very good results. [/b]</blockquote>
I also have used the #7 and #10 for the clear plastic gauge cover with very good results. I used it on my motorcycle windscreen too. It is a VERY light polish. I would guess that it is all chemical-based. I doubt it even contains a fine abrasive or anything.

Lemonxxs
02-13-2002, 02:28 PM
Dust them with dry Mfs.

Scratch free with over 8000 miles on mine

vettefan67
02-13-2002, 02:37 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by MichaelB2 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>

I also have used the #7 and #10 for the clear plastic gauge cover with very good results. I used it on my motorcycle windscreen too. It is a VERY light polish. I would guess that it is all chemical-based. I doubt it even contains a fine abrasive or anything. [/b]</blockquote>Thank you for that information MichaelB2. I have been hoping someone would give information on these products and your info told me they are not what I need. Thanks for saving me some money. :up