PDA

View Full Version : Vinly cleaning?

deanafob
02-10-2002, 01:15 AM
I have this strip of vinyl around the windshield and windows. I use 303 for protection but not sure what I can use to clean it? As you can see its dirty up close. Thanks.

http://members.roadfly.com/teezm3/DSCN0014s.jpg

02-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Get the peanut butter out. Mask off the paint around the trim and use a cheap microfiber towel to rub the PB in, then buff it off with a clean MF. It will work, I`ve been restoring a `93 Prelude with black interior and the PB has made the center console, dash and other vinly trim look brand new, and the effect will last as it`s cleaning it, not just a coverup. As a serious detail junkie, I tried ArmorAll multipurpose cleaner, Zaino plastic cleaner, Zaino glass polish, Zaino leather cleaner, clearcoat rubbing compound, denatured alcohol and Dawn dishwashing liquid. The PD buried them all!

miguelgf
02-10-2002, 11:32 AM
I think it was RonK mentioned that it was the oils in the peanut butter that did the cleaning...

I wonder if it`s prudent to just apply some peanut oil, which is probably a lot less messy (and cheaper, if you go by the bottle), rather than applying Jif to our trim? :)

02-10-2002, 01:08 PM
use wonderwheels - although its for tyres - it puts a fantastic shine and depth to all shades of vinyl & plastic

02-10-2002, 08:33 PM
An 18oz jar of Skippy cost $1.88. As far as being messy, peanut butter does not run or drip down on surrounding paint, upholstery, etc like peanut oil does. Been there, done that.

vettefan67
02-10-2002, 09:16 PM
I cannot see the picture but I haven`t heard of people using peanut butter to clean vinyl. Are we all thinking about the same stuff here? Vinyl i.e. the semisoft material many dashboards are covered with, as opposed to plastic-like weatherstripping / trim on the exterior of cars?

Peanut Butter / Vegetable oil is often used as a mild solvent to soften up wax residue from trim. Cleaning vinyl would be a new one to me, but I am quite new to detailing.

02-10-2002, 10:11 PM
I`ve used the PB on the dash and all plastic or vinyl parts on the inside of my son`s `93 Prelude. The dash and center console had been covered with ArmorAll and I hate it. After serveral commercial products failed, I used Dawn dishwashing soap and a micro fiber towel to clean off the ArmorAll. Then I scrubbed it all with the PB and buffed if off with a clean MF towel. It looks fantastic, just like new. Obviously I can`t guarantee that it will work for you, but for me, I`ll try the PB first from now on.

deanafob
02-10-2002, 10:35 PM
Ok sounds weird!!! But I`ll try peanut butter when I have time.

admac
02-11-2002, 01:46 AM
remember, NO CHUNKY STYLE! ;)