PDA

View Full Version : SMR doing a number on my paint...

johnmiller
02-08-2002, 10:53 PM
I just got done washing and clay barring my car.

That alone took me about 3 hours (i`m a n00b).

Afterwards, I started out with a dime size glob of SMR on my foam applicator and went to work on my hood. Now i`ve said this before, I get a lot of red on my applicator. But tonight its almost scary. I stopped after doing about 3 square-foot areas because after putting a glob of SMR on my already red applicator, the SMR would soon turn a nice dark red after a couple strokes. I wanted to see what you pro`s have to say about this.

The reason why I am using SMR is that I have pretty bad swirls on most of the panels of my car (damn me for using car washes). I haven`t tried Meguiars #9, although that seems like an option.

Once again my car is a `96 Volvo 850R, red. I`ve been told it does have a clearcoat but maybe my hood was repainted or the previous owner burned through it.

I`m really afraid that if I polish too hard, i`ll start seeing primer and that will just ruin my day, week, month, etc.

Should I skip SMR and go with AIO -> SG?

Should I pickup some Meguiars #9?

Lost...

-jm

kiltman
02-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Did you test other parts of the car to see if you get the same red on the pad. If not ,sounds like your hood has no clear on it or was burned through as you say. If the rest of the car has a clear coat on it , wouldn`t you want the hood to match? I would take it to a good body shop and see what they say. Maybe they can clear the hood for you . Maybe your hood was repainted and never clear coated.

Chuckmotor
02-08-2002, 11:49 PM
I have detailed a `95 Volvo 940, which was also red. It was pretty swirled up and neglected, so I attacked it with 3M FI-II followed by Meg`s #9 SR 2.0, and I used the PC-- yellow pad for the FI-II and white for the #9 2.0. The Volvo was completely 100% clear coated (and it looked VERY good when I got through with it... anyway...)

Try other parts of the car to see if those parts are clear coated. It is possible that when it was repainted, they did not clear coat it. But usually they do clearcoat when you get them repainted.

Chuckmotor
02-08-2002, 11:52 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by johnmiller [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>
Should I skip SMR and go with AIO -> SG?

Should I pickup some Meguiars #9?

-jm [/b]</blockquote>
With #9, you will probably still get some red paint on your pad, even though it does not actually contain abrasives. It`s safer to use than SMR, though.

vettefan67
02-09-2002, 04:14 AM
Regardless of what Meguiar`s reps claim, #9 does contain abrasives.

corvettez
02-09-2002, 12:19 PM
johnmiller

The 96 and 97 850R came from the factory with non clear coated paint, aka single stage. You should post your question on the Brickboard, (Brickboard.com) and see what you get for responses. My last Volvo was red and was not clear coated and use to oxidize pretty badly which is most likely what you are seeing. I used a pre wax cleaner back then to prep the paint and at first you would have thought the paint was all coming off but once I had a routine down it pretty much stopped happening. This was also before I knew about paint sealants such as Klasse. SMR may be your best bet based on its low abrasiveness then followed up with AIO and SG

Chuckmotor
02-09-2002, 12:22 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Regardless of what Meguiar`s reps claim, #9 does contain abrasives. [/b]</blockquote>
If they do, they are VERY mild. The #9 is basically the #7 with some cleaners. Abrasives or not, the #9 2.0 definitly has less abrasives than 3M SMR.