PDA

View Full Version : Why do car manuals and dealers reccomend drying with a natural chamois?

Chuckmotor
02-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Just a question I thought of while I was scanning the archives. I have seen many car manuals say to use a natural chamois to dry, but most everyone here agrees that chamois will yank off the wax. So why do the companies reccomend a chamois?

Michael H
02-07-2002, 11:08 PM
Perhaps they have not really looked at the issue in the last 5-10 years! Go back 10 years and it was the best method then available.

dsl4evr
02-07-2002, 11:23 PM
Probably the same reason my fathers new Honda odyssey manual says to wash the car with dish detergent.:rolleyes:

miguelgf
02-08-2002, 12:31 AM
Just a guess - maybe that`s the only thing that they can guarantee, regardless of quality, won`t hurt the paint?

Think about it - if you specify MF towels - how many people have heard of them? Specify cotton, and you`ll have people washing their cars with T-shirts. So I`m thinking it`s kind of a failsafe; I could be wrong though.

db2
02-08-2002, 12:38 AM
I have had several Honda`s and they dont give any good advice on caring for the car`s finish, when I got my last car it even came with an insert specifically telling you how you could care for your vechile and listing products that were formulated for them by Meguiars

imported_doug
02-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Think about the poor junior employee of a car company who has any responsibility for that content. 79 levels below the CEO. Never waxed a car in their life. MF towels are relatively new - heck - even most of the car care product suppliers (Meguiar`s is an example) haven`t updated their own sites. Anyone from Meguiar`s (or this board) will tell you MF is the only way to go - but their site still recommends 100% terry.

imported_Intel486
02-09-2002, 02:29 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JohnN [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Just a guess - maybe that`s the only thing that they can guarantee, regardless of quality, won`t hurt the paint?

Think about it - if you specify MF towels - how many people have heard of them? Specify cotton, and you`ll have people washing their cars with T-shirts. So I`m thinking it`s kind of a failsafe; I could be wrong though. [/b]</blockquote>
I have to agree with you there.

Besides, most car owners don`t really care as much as we do. Why would they want to spend money for MF or get bath towels just for drying their car when a chamois would be fine for them.

69-912
02-09-2002, 07:58 AM
Want some real entertainment? Pick up a 1950s-1960s owners manuals and many of them recommend you wash the car using lye soap! :eek:

I guss back then that was the thing to do.

miguelgf
02-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Think about the difference in paint though, between those cars and today`s cars.

I`m not old enough to remember those, but from the cars I`ve seen from the 60`s with original paint jobs, the finish was a whole lot better than what we`ve got now, at least IMO.

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Want some real entertainment? Pick up a 1950s-1960s owners manuals and many of them recommend you wash the car using lye soap!</blockquote>

F1Crazy
02-09-2002, 03:46 PM
My buddy just bought a `01 Pathfinder and asked me to evaluate his paint and give him some advise on car care. After reading this post I couldn`t help it - had to look in a manual. There it was: wash your car with dish detergent.

I think it`s about time they stop puting this information!

Imagine poor guy following those instructions and paint of his car after a few years. No wonder so many cars look like crap!

02-10-2002, 02:00 PM
my 2001 arnage came with its log book - and various manuals - even they now say use chamois - i think they do it to sell there own product.