PDA

View Full Version : Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

Pages : [1] 2

db2
02-07-2002, 01:33 AM
I did a search and would like a little clairefacation and advise please. My original plan was to start Klasse AIO and put a coat of Klasse SG on top and then every month there after add a layer of SG until it reached six months and start over again, but people were suggesting to clean the paint prior to addind the coats of SG. I thought as long as the paint was really clean and in good shape it would be ok to just layer SG away. Some suggested to clay, I dont like using clay. How else can I clean the paint before layering SG? Finally is it safe to go with my original plan or since I dont want to clay before layering SG is it better to play it safe and just apply AIO twice a year and add the two to three SG layers in the following days right after applying the AIO?

Jngrbrdman
02-07-2002, 02:23 AM
The AIO should clean the paint well enough. I wouldn`t suggest applying the SG without the AIO first. They were made to work together and you don`t lose anything by applying both of them. I don`t see a reason for you to clay the car unless you aren`t happy with the feel of the paint. If it feels bumpy or gritty then you should clay. If you are talking about your 2002 car then I doubt it needs it. Just stick with your original plan. The car will get cleaned enough by using the AIO prior to the SG. :xyxthumbs

DETAILKING
02-07-2002, 07:39 AM
A new 2002 car doesn`t need AIO. If you wash weekly and quick detail, the car shouldn` get that dirty anyways if you have klasse on there protecting the paint. Just clean the car layer SG when ever you want. Eventually you will pick up contamination over time which will need to be clayed off.

miguelgf
02-07-2002, 10:09 AM
C240-

Take it from a fellow white Benz owner - try the AIO first.

Here`s what I did, from start to finish:

1. Took delivery of unwashed car.

2. Clayed the car.

3. AIO`d the car.

4. SG`d the car.

Now - some would say steps 2 and 3 were unnecessary, but I have to say - on a white car, you can see all the contaminants very carefully, as opposed to a darker colored car. Although the plastic baggy/finger test for clay worked out fine, I could see rail dust, that was gone after the clay step. Was the AIO necessary? Well - the surface wasn`t anywhere near as buttery smooth as it was when I was done AIO`ing.

Now - as for SG`ing - here`s what I did...

You`ll read a lot of stuff about the time it takes for SG to properly crosslink. I didn`t know whether this was valid or not - but I decided to try it anyway. I grounded the car in the garage for about 3-4 days, immediately after steps 1-3. Then, I went and threw on successive coats of SG - applying, allowing time to cure, then wiping off.

The time allowed to cure varied - since I had the car in a closed garage, and I wasn`t driving it, I worked as follows - apply a coat - let it sit 3-4 hours. Remove, apply another. If it was late at night, the last coat sat overnight. So three coats sat overnight, and about 4-5 sat for 3-4 hours each.

The result - outstanding, IMHO. The surface is reflective, smooth, and well protected (I took a bird bomb, and with some Sonus QD, it came right off about an hour later, when I discovered it). The car is pristine when it`s washed. I`ve since applied some P21S Paste Wax (which I also highly recommend), and the car is blinding during sunny days.

The paste wax means that you can`t throw on any more SG, unless you go back and AIO the car and start from scratch. Honestly - I believe SG is very durable - I got some winter weather, and the car got unbelievably dirty. A simple, 10 minute wash, restored the car to it`s SG beauty. I`d say even in this rough weather, I`ll get at least 4-5 months out of the SG coats, so there`s no need to layer any more on. The carnauba - I`m an enthusiast, so maybe I just like to wax my car (placebo effect?) - but I think it adds to the depth of the paint.

Hope it helps.. I know - not driving the car for a few days is not practical to many, but I`m a city boy, so I could do without. Especially considering the fact that I want this car to look new for quite some time :) If you can`t do without driving the car - try the same thing, except with a simple wash every time you bring the car home. Doesn`t take more than 10 minutes, and it`ll definitely get your surface clean enough to SG.

Preachers Sheets
02-07-2002, 11:01 AM
Your car is so new you shouldn`t need to clay or polish.

Run your fingers over the paint while they are inside the plastic wrapper from a cig box. That will let you know how smooth your paint is; the smoother the cleaner.

If it is smooth the All In One will be enough of a paint cleaner, then you can layer the Glaze away.

F1Crazy
02-07-2002, 11:10 AM
C240,

Follow JohnN plan if you want your car well protected and looking best possible. This is exactly what I did on my RX300 but without a topper and it looked outstanding. My wife was furious because I grounded the car for entire weekend (it`s her daily driver).

It sounds like you love waxing your car every month and in that case you will love P21S wax. Just make sure you have enough SG coats before you start with a topper. I treat SG like a bottom layer of protection, shine and swirl filler and carnauba is finshing step for added depth.

I haven`t put any carnauba yet because I want more layers of SG (at least 6).

db2
02-07-2002, 08:35 PM
So you guys think its ok to just add SG as I planned once every month for six months and starting all over again, while not cleaning the paint with clay first just washing really good on a weekly basis before adding those monthly coats of SG?

jkochis
02-07-2002, 08:50 PM
That`s what I do.

vettefan67
02-07-2002, 09:00 PM
Not to criticize, I will probably strip my Klasse off in a week or two (been on for about 1-2 months . . LOL) but if you are going to be adding a coat a month, why stop at 6 months? To remove any swirls that made their way on the car since? For contaminants, spot-claying would work fine, just as Zaino users do.

KSG will fill in swirls with a few extra coats. I`m just curious, I know I personally would not be able to keep my hands off of my finish for 6 months, just trying to see if we all have a reason for stripping ;)

BradE
02-07-2002, 09:12 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Your car is so new you shouldn`t need to clay or polish.</blockquote>

I agree that you probably would not need to polish, but claying is a different story. The surface of new cars can be alot more contaminated than you think. Ferrous Metal particles can get embedded in the clear during transport, not to mention all the other crap that gets embedded on the surface by the time it reaches the dealers lot and finally to you. I would clay a new car. It`s worth the extra step for the benefit it provides.

vettefan67
02-07-2002, 09:13 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`> I would clay a new car. It`s worth the extra step for the benefit it provides. [/b]</blockquote>I would really agree here -- you may not see the junk but it`s there . . . You can either clay out the metal particles embedded in your paint now or you can clay out rust spots later!

db2
02-07-2002, 09:53 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by C240 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>So you guys think its ok to just add SG as I planned once every month for six months and starting all over again, while not cleaning the paint with clay first just washing really good on a weekly basis before adding those monthly coats of SG? [/b]</blockquote>Any more thoughts? Thanks again everybody

Chuckmotor
02-07-2002, 10:06 PM
I`ve heard a lot of people say that you don`t need to start over after six months, but if you want to, there`s nothing wrong with it. That plan sounds fine to me. Use the clay if it isn`t feeling slick, though, but you don`t have to use it.

Jngrbrdman
02-07-2002, 10:19 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>
I would really agree here -- you may not see the junk but it`s there . . . You can either clay out the metal particles embedded in your paint now or you can clay out rust spots later! [/b]</blockquote>
I think that is going to be my new mantra. LOL Don`t copyright that phrase yet. I`m gonna use it!

dengelson
02-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Prep work leads to great final results. Even with a new car I wouldn`t put SG on without first cleaning the paint. AIO is an excellent cleaner and it is designed to be used with SG. However as good as AIO is it can leave behind embedded metal shards and specs of environmental fallout.

Personally I would clay then use AIO even on a new car. Because then you have established a base line of cleanliness for your paint. Then <strong class=`bbc`>you will know[/b] the paint is clean and ready for multiple coats of SG.

The only downside I see to useing the above prep technique is the time that it takes. However the time will feel well spent when you view the results. You also won`t have to deal with the disappointment of finding specs in your paint after applying SG. just my .02 :xyxthumbs