PDA

View Full Version : 1st. Post / NEW Paint = $$$ / First Wash, wax!

DennisA
02-05-2002, 09:19 PM
Hello my name is Jimmy and I am from VA. I have a 1995 GTi VR6 in "Flash Red". I just recently had a full re-spray and stuck with the orignal stock color "Flash Red". It`s a nice job about 3K worth with the body work. SO my question for the pros is, I am looking for a safe way to care for this virgin paint with-out starting the swirling process. Keep in mind this paint is un-touched stright from the body shop, there was no wet sanding with the idea in mind to keep the paint hard to avoid swirls. There is some orage-peel effect BUT with just a bit of Zaino I will have that deep/slick look with out wet-sanding. I figure I need a 100% cotton wash rag of some sort and I can source the 100% app. pads from Mr. Zaino , I can find the nice bath towels. What about the after wash dry, I used to use the "Water Blade" well not with this paint. I would like to know about what the safest way to dry would be 100% cotton towel, leather sham? Thanks I know it`s a babel post but it`s my first and I could use any help.

:bow

vettefan67
02-05-2002, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the best detailing board around. In regards to your questions, try this -- go to www.autopia-carport.com and buy the eBook by our Autopia Mayor "David B." It is said to be an extremely valuable resource for beginning detailers. Sit down and read that for a few hours (days?) and you will learn much.

Welcome to the obsession.

<em class=`bbc`>Click Picture for Additional Information[/i]
http://autopia-carport.com/images/Cover%20V2%20small.jpg (`http://www.autopia-carcare.com/`)

DETAILKING
02-05-2002, 09:45 PM
The hot ticket to avoiding swirls is to use non abrasive products on the car, and quality MF or 100% cotton washmitts and towels. Also perfecting your washing, drying, and quick detailing techniques will help.

I would dry using an absorber type product. I use one, with great results, and whatever is left over, I just BLOT away with a MF towel or charisma 100% cotton towel. This is much safer than a water blade. I try not to rub a towel on the paint unless quick detailing or buffing wax off.

Welcome to the forum...the fun starts now!

vettefan67
02-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Zaino = www.zainobros.com

MF = Microfiber. This is a type of cloth that a great many of us including myself prefer to cotton for many reasons. You can get this stuff from www.yosteve.com www.properautocare.com www.tacscar.com or www.neatitems.com . Don`t use anything but the higher end ones on your paint -- no store bought stuff. Many members will agree that YoSteve.com / properautocare carry the highest quality microfiber.

Absorber - You can find this locally, if you`re willing to order online check out the Water Bandit from www.kleanride.com . I like it much more than the Absorber (thx BH :xyxthumbs ).
Do not use a natural chamois (IMO....).

Wash mitts - go to the local Autozone / Kragen / Checker`s / Schucks depending on where you are and get the VIKING brand 100% COTTON CHENILLE mitt. Only the one with the seal of cotton on it!! If it doesn`t say 100%, don`t buy it.

If you go with Zaino, use that shampoo (Z-7). Otherwise for good store-bought stuff head down to your local Target and get a gallon of Meguiar`s Gold Class shampoo for $10. Good stuff, good price.

I personally will not use cotton applicators on my paint, FOAM or microfiber (highly recommend!! ) applicators only. The little yellow ones are great -- they use less product than cotton and feel better on the paint. Microfiber is even safer for chemical cleaners that might remove bonded contaminants from paint -- not an issue for your fresh paint.

DennisA
02-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Ok Thanks all for the reply.

I have done some research since I just posted this topic. I have found the "Sea Sponge" for washing and the "Big Blue" for the dry. Now this is everything right??? Because Zaino says to use real towels for removeing his product, do you all use MF for this???

Thanks for all the welcome posts I am IN NOW I would have never posted but now that I actually have something to take care of I must. I have learned alot allready, thank goodness I have not touched my ride yet!

I am here to learn all I can, thanks for the info on that book a must have!

vettefan67
02-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Careful with the Sea Sponge, I know a very few people use them but most people use 100% cotton mitts. I can`t compare personally as I have not tried a sea sponge but . . . I don`t think I will.

Many use MF to remove Zaino, many use cotton.

imported_doug
02-05-2002, 10:27 PM
washing and drying are the MOST important things to do RIGHT to avoid swirls.

I recommend the following post about drying technique. It provides a "recipe" and the theory behind it. I have `settled" on this technique now and am very happy with it: http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5120 (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5120`)

Don2000g
02-05-2002, 11:41 PM
Yes, be very careful with the sea sponge. There might be only one guy here who absolutely loves this product and would rate it better and safer than chenille mitts, microfiber mitts or even sheepskin mitts.

vettefan67
02-05-2002, 11:47 PM
Washing: Sponges or Mitts? (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4968`)

-nerdybum

ultrajim49
02-06-2002, 02:11 AM
I had a seasponge for a while:

it is not so handy ,because of the kind of baseball-shape&size.

But it does grab dirt and carry`s it within it`s cells and doesn`t scratch or swirl.

It does soak up lots of shampoo = good lube while washing.

RINSE IT THOROUGHLY BEFORE THE FIRST USE BECAUSE OF REMAINS FROM IT`S FORMER SEA_LIFE!!!

Now I use a car-wash mitt = much more handy

:xyxthumbs

edit:base-ball should of course be : american football:sosad

Lemonxxs
02-06-2002, 09:57 AM
Welcome to the FORUM...

YoSteve
02-06-2002, 10:12 AM
welcome aboard !

my vote is for microfiber covered sponge applicators over cotton ones :)