PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to use a buffer?

jlward1946
02-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Do I need to use a buffer?

I have an almost two year old car that has some very mior swirls, i.e. can only been seen at certain angles looking very close at the paint. I want my paint to be completly free if all swirls!!! Do I need to use a buffer in my situation? I really prefer doing everything by hand if at all possible.

I had planned on doing the following routine in a few weeks

1. Dawn Wash

2.clay bar

3.3m finesse it 2

4.3m swirl remover

5.zaino wax

Do you think this is sufficient for my needs?

WHAT type of applicators should I use for the abrasives, terry, foam, mf , etc? Thanks

imported_Intel486
02-05-2002, 05:59 PM
I hear a lot of people have trouble applying 3m swirl remover

by hand and getting lots of swirls with it.

imported_doug
02-05-2002, 07:52 PM
finesse-it II is even harder than 3M SMR to apply by hand. You might be able to do it, but your arm WILL fall off after one panel properly done. And if you do NOT work it hard enough to break down the abrasives you`re going to be very unhappy with the haze it leaves.

If you want to be 100% swirl free - well, go get it professionally buffed.

It you want it to look way better than it does, but by hand, I would recommend:

1) Clay bar if needed

2) Meguiar`s swirl remover 2.0 via foam pad - this is the only one I`d recommend using by hand.

3) Base wax - your choice. If you use a polymer wash before this step.

4) carnauba topper.

jlward1946
02-05-2002, 09:16 PM
I think I am going to use the PC polisher then. Are the standard white pads ok for this aplication?

I am going to use zaino, which is a polymere. I though dawn washingafter using the 3m products will strip the oils that were given from those products. Isn`t that bad?

vettefan67
02-05-2002, 09:38 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by M35power [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I think I am going to use the PC polisher then. Are the standard white pads ok for this aplication?

I am going to use zaino, which is a polymere. I though dawn washingafter using the 3m products will strip the oils that were given from those products. Isn`t that bad? [/b]</blockquote>1) I`ll leave PC stuff to someone with experience with them.

2) NO. The "stuff" left behind by polishes that have filler content are a few different things. One thing they leave behind is trace amounts of abrasive content that did not get buffed off. This will be washed off. Another thing they leave behind is intentional - "fillers." They leave behind some thick oily stuff that temporarily fills swirls and other marring in the paint for a week or two.

These fillers will go away on their own from sun exposure and washing, but Zaino will not bond to them. I highly recommend Dawn washing to get rid of the residue, and you might have to do it twice (keep an eye out for water beading on some areas of your car but not others -- that`s where the stuff is left behind IMHO.

HTH