PDA

View Full Version : Washed the car today, just one problem.

Pages : [1] 2

Waggunteeduen
02-05-2002, 01:29 PM
Since we had the first break in the weather today in about two weeks I took the opportunity to wash the car. I treated it 2 weeks ago with Autoglym Super Resin Polish and then 3 layers of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. This was done in the garage and the car has remained there ever since so I haven`t really had the chance/weather to examine the results properly. So after I washed two weeks of dust off it I took a few photos. I`m quite pleased with the results, I`ve never tried layering the EGP before and was surprised what a difference it made, I`ve just ordered some Biltz wax to see what difference that makes.

There is one problem which I could do with some advice on. The exhaust (Tail pipe) on my car is supposed to have a gloss black finish, I`m not sure if it is anodised or HT paint, I would guess anodised, it looks terrible at the moment and I was wondering what you guys use to polish them. Should I treat it just like paintwork and use a mild polish?

Sorry about the poor lighting on the photos but I was trying to beat the next downpour.

Waggunteeduen
02-05-2002, 01:31 PM
Photo 2

Wish I hadn`t looked at this one. I just noticed that the lawn needs cutting.....AGAIN:(

Waggunteeduen
02-05-2002, 01:32 PM
Tailpipe.

mooredriven
02-05-2002, 01:34 PM
looks outstanding! i`ve got a couple friends who live in London and one in Slough. :)

I wish I coulda kept my black car looking like that, but in the Nevada heat it`s really hard.

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2002, 01:34 PM
Well I heard of "Luster Lace", it is a chrome/pipe polish that is on a strip, you can wrap the strip half way around the pipe and pull on each end to polish it.

If the pipe is anodized then your safe, if the paint is sprayed on you should be safe but I would look into it. I doubt it is anodized though, anodizing is a very expensive process, who knows though, it`s a Caddy, those cars are pretty high class.

I`ll look for the link..........

mooredriven
02-05-2002, 01:35 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by joed1228 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`> it`s a Caddy, those cars are pretty high class.

[/b]</blockquote>
hehe that`s no caddy. ;)

Chuckmotor
02-05-2002, 01:37 PM
I don`t know about what to use on the tailpipe, but I`ll say this, the car looks great!! Very shiny, very reflective, very good job! What year is it?

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2002, 01:38 PM
http://www.properautocare.com/luslaccompac2.html (`http://www.properautocare.com/luslaccompac2.html`)

Thats the link, if you look around on the site for reviews there should be one, I saw it not too long ago.

--------------

Not a Caddy eh? It looks sort of the like the Division Caddy owns with the little duck as a logo. I can`t quite remember the name but it looks like them... First time I have been wrong at pointing out a car in years :nixweiss

02-05-2002, 01:41 PM
yea u mean the catera... He is in europe so it is the Opel version, not the caddilac. And yes the US model did have a duck :p

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2002, 01:45 PM
But in other words it is a Caddy because Caddy owns them and they are using their design right? It`s all Caddy, same car, frame, specs.... they got the blue prints from Caddy.

mooredriven
02-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Actually it`s the other way around:
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

So how did Cadillac come up with such a nice car? They borrowed it from GM`s European arm, Opel.</blockquote>
from http://cartalk.cars.com/Info/Testdrive/Reviews/cadillac-catera-2001.html (`http://cartalk.cars.com/Info/Testdrive/Reviews/cadillac-catera-2001.html`)

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2002, 01:50 PM
BUT .......... it`s still a Caddy right?

mooredriven
02-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Personally I say the one here is nothing but an Opel... but that`s the european car enthusiast in me.

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2002, 02:07 PM
Speaking of German cars, for kicks I got a second job I worked at a Valet garage for a little while and man did those people like expensive cars.

Just about everything I drove was a Benz, Porsche, VW, Caddy, Vettes, Vipers, Ferraris and stuff of the sort. The Porsche was a really surprising car. I didn`t know the suspension worked that well. Taking those turns in the garage it was either "learn to drive" or "smack into the wall". Those Porsches never even came close, they were glued to the floor......... expect once, had one sliding in second gear and the tail almost kissed the wall.

mooredriven
02-05-2002, 02:15 PM
No doubt about that, my first car was a Porsche 914 which my dad bought new in `72.

I certainly never felt anything like it, mid engined and all.