PDA

View Full Version : Contamination under the SG layer.

Pages : [1] 2

dngan
02-05-2002, 01:18 AM
Hi,

After I put on 2 coat of Klasse SG, I realize that there is dirty contaimation stuff under the SG layer. I guess I forgot to clean that area before I put on the SG. So, the dirty stuff is sealed under the SG layers and I can`t clean it out.

What can I do ?

Can I only apply AIO to that area to get rid of the SG layer of that area, then clean out the dirt and reapply SG on that part only ???

Is it bad just to apply AIO to a small area and reapply SG just to that affected area ???

:(

Jngrbrdman
02-05-2002, 02:45 AM
You should be able to take off the layer of SG with the AIO, but it is only going to remove the SG. If you used AIO on the car first then you are still going to have something covering the contamination. You might want to try a Dawn wash on just that panel and then claying the area that looks bad. Then reapply the Klasse. That should take care of it. :xyxthumbs

dngan
02-05-2002, 03:05 AM
So, I should,

1. AIO that area to get rid of klasse layers,

2. Clean that area with some car wash,

3. Reapply AIO and SG to that area when it is clean.

are these steps correct ?

Jngrbrdman
02-05-2002, 03:20 AM
Are you familiar with the `Dawn Wash` concept? Dawn dishwashing liquid will remove all the Klasse SG and AIO you put on. You wouldn`t want to do your whole car with it at this point, of course, but if you do it on that one body panel then it`ll get all the Klasse off so you can work on the contamination. If the AIO didn`t remove it in the first place, then you are probably going to have to use clay on it. These are the steps I`d reccomend. Just on that one panel, of course.

[list=1]
Dawn wash the panel
Clay the contamination spot
Rinse or QD the panel
AIO
SG X 1,000,000 ;)
[/list=1]

That is what I`m thinking will help out. If the AIO didn`t get out the spot to begin with, then clay should take care of it. The Dawn is just so you can get down to the paint surface and really pull that contamination off. Somebody correct me if I`m wrong but I think the clay will be more effective if you can get the Klasse off first. Make sense?

Lowejackson
02-05-2002, 03:20 AM
Wash with Dawn

Clay

AIO

SG

I think it would be best to strip it all and start again.

Steven

Alfa 164

dngan
02-05-2002, 03:29 AM
the contamination is around the license plate area of the trunk, should I dawn wash and clean only the contaminated license plate area, or should I do it to the entire trunk.

(hehe, I am sort of lazy)

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2002, 08:25 AM
If I were you, for the heck of it, I would do the entire panel over. it shouldn`t be that time consuming. If you missed one spot of dirt on the panel, strip the panel, look for swirls, scratches.... and re-apply.

To strip the Klasse off you could use 50% water and 50% alcohol. You can spot wash it instead of getting the entire clean car wet. Polish after than, AIO, then Glaze....

DETAILKING
02-05-2002, 09:41 AM
NO NEED to "STRIP" KLASSE of the car with IPA, DAWN,etc,etc. Just clay over the infected area and it will pull the contaminants out. In those spots it will remove some KLASSE, so when you are done, wash with normal car wash, and apply a layer of SG to that panel. No need for AIO, DAWN, or alcohol.....

Hope this helps......

02-05-2002, 01:14 PM
never knew that would work, thanks DK!

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2002, 01:17 PM
I never knew either. Can you explain how that works? I mean, I would think if there is a layer of something over the particles and if you are able to extract these "particles" from under the Klasse then you would have to remove the top layer ...... right?

DETAILKING
02-05-2002, 01:26 PM
to smooth out the paint and pull contaminants out even if it means removing some sealant to do so. Remember how THIN a sealant layer is..

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2002, 01:30 PM
I would rather strip the panel and start over there anyhow. Just so I know where exactly I am instead of guessing how many layers I just removed.

Don2000g
02-05-2002, 10:56 PM
DK does make a point. However, the eccentric in me would probably have most "peace of mind" by stripping that little area and then claying. Either way, it shouldn`t be much of a problem or take that much time. Have fun!

YoSteve
02-05-2002, 11:06 PM
Okay, how long have I not been here? First of all, Dawn will not remove Klasse (well not all of it). It`s not like Dawn will just get rid of Klasse. Heck, I even had trouble with PPCL removing my Klasse.

Here`s what I would do, I would either use something like PPCL or AIO (wash regularly first) to polish off those contaminated spots (possilby using clay, but it depends on what he contaminants are) If you have AIO why not use it and a little bit of elbow grease? It might save having to buy more stuff.

I made the mistake of not getting all the contaminants the first time I only use SG. This is why I`m a supporter of the AIO step before the SG. No one has a perfectly clean car, even new. It`s the same reason why people work in 2 things of AIO, because they are likely to miss spots.

db2
02-05-2002, 11:12 PM
I would try AIO