PDA

View Full Version : Wax, polymers, or this?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Preachers Sheets
02-05-2002, 02:52 PM
The only "staining" I have ever heard of was with the all natural waxes on white cars. I think if staining was a problem with Zaino we would of heard of it alot sooner and alot more often. I am SURE it is not a problem with the product. If the car is stained it is from something else.

andrew43
02-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Did someone say yellow?? :D

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/attachment.php3?s=&postid=31329 (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/attachment.php3?s=&postid=31329`)

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/attachment.php3?s=&postid=31330 (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/attachment.php3?s=&postid=31330`)

Too bad I cant get the pics to show up..only the link. In any case, that is my Integra after one coat of zaino z1/z5.

DETAILKING
02-05-2002, 02:58 PM
I can`t wait to see what it looks like after another Z5 /Z6,and a Z2!

Cybercowboy
02-05-2002, 03:01 PM
Red Vette with Zaino... (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4214`)

Michael H
02-05-2002, 03:07 PM
Never let facts spoil a good story. Here are some facts:

1. I have used Zaino.

2. I am using Zaino right now on my car.

3. I do know how to apply Zaino, try applying it to the letter using Sal`s instructions. It seems there are people here that cannot stand the slightest criticism of Zaino - if the results are not great it has to be the user not the product! The same technique was used when Carguy made his comments.

4. My experience with Zaino and Subaru WRXs (and of course their paint) would be greater than anyone on the board. We had WRXs here long before they were sold in the US. There is an issue and I am happy to tell those who wish to know, up to them if they take any notice.

5. Zaino has strengths and weaknesses.

6. All products have strengths and weakness, including carnauba products. Try reading the website again. It gives strengths and weaknesses of various products so the customer can make a decision – not brainwash then into believing all the marketing hype.

7. It is time the Zaino supporters debated the product and stopped attacking the person. It is not uncommon for them to voice harsh and repeated criticisms of non-Zaino products on this board and other boards.

8. Yes, I help run a business selling car products from several vendors. I am the research director. Dr Michael H to be precise.

andrew43
02-05-2002, 03:17 PM
While I doubt Michael H is trying to disparage Zaino products (why would he...he is in Australia and is likely NOT many if any products to people on this board), the whole staining issue is unusual.

First, can you take pictures of this stain so we can see? What have you done to remove the stain. Is it gone or permanent? Is it on the clear or under it? What color is the stain?

Michael H, you should be able to understand while most of us find it very unusual that ANY wax or acrylic or polymer (etc.) would stain paint. Without a strong chemical reaction, I dont see how any of these products could adversely effect a modern clear coat or even base enamel!

Cybercowboy
02-05-2002, 03:20 PM
Let`s assume you have stains in between layers of a polymer sealant. Matters not what brand.

1. Remove the sealant in the immediate area of the stain. In the case of Zaino you could use isopropyl alcohol. Other sealants may have different removal methods (Klasse AIO removes Klasse, for instance).

2. If stain is gone, just reapply your sealant in that area, overlapping surrounding areas for good coverage.

3. If stain is not gone you may need to get more aggressive. Perhaps Finesse-It and a PC.

4. Once you get the stain out reapply sealant.

5. If after all that work you still have a stain, well, I give up.

Michael H
02-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Zaino did not stain the paint. The car was fine after it was cleaned and Zaino put on. I was testing durability and after about 6 weeks noticed that staining had got into the Zaino layer on the car (white). I observed it over the following weeks, it was getting worst. People who add Zaino layers every other week may not notice such things, but I was studying durability.

Sorry do not have any photos. The car was recleaned and done with Klasse and a carnauba, the problem has since disappeared.

I am now using Zaino on the black car, but it is not yet complete.

Lemonxxs
02-05-2002, 04:35 PM
Micheal what do you suppose the stain was?

Michael H
02-05-2002, 04:38 PM
There was more than one type, but mostly bug poo ! We have no shortage of flies.

Lemonxxs
02-05-2002, 04:46 PM
I gotcha now....

So some bugs decide to do a suicide thing into your car with their helmets on...they do not clean off very well...until you remove the zaino....

I can dig that and accept it

rmccall6
02-05-2002, 05:11 PM
Now guys lets no get over defensive. Michael H is a respected member here, and has gotten some of the best pics I hae seen. He legitimately stated the problem he had, was bashed, and clearly didn`t feel like bringing it up again in detail, but he had to anyway because he got pasively bashed again. Nothing is perfect, no one is going to get perfect results, because thats partly opinion based. Lets just drop the whole Product X vs. Product Y, and get back to what we love doing, detailing.:D

Michael H
02-05-2002, 05:14 PM
Guess My Name

Not bug suicide runs, as they are often on the side doors when the bug had a rest, exercised his little bowels and left a present.

Lemonxxs
02-05-2002, 05:35 PM
WOW mean bugs!!!

bodysnatcher
02-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Hi guys,

I can appreciate people getting passionate about stuff. In other boards it`s loyalty to car marques, or tires, wheels, etc. At least I`m not reading "You call that ugly yellow thing a car?" or "You did not get that far away from me in the turns", etc.

Anyway Miatas and (now I find) Subarus, have notoriously poor paint jobs. The color migration to the rag was noticeable in both cars, the white Miata and the yellow WRX. I still have a little bit of that "Premium Auto Polish & Protectant" left. I`ll see what it does to my 190E 2.3-16. It`s been repainted but the paint is at least 1 year old.

Now, I was in love with that stuff (Premium Auto Polish & Protectant) because it was the only product that would clean the smoke soot off my white Miata. It also left the car so slick that your fingers will slide off the trunk or doors as you are trying to close them!! The shine looks good too, but I`m concerned about the color migration and the relatively short life of the wax job. I wish some of you experts would contact Driven Performance (1-800-835-61490 and obtain a sample of their stuff and give it a test. I sure would like to know how safe (or unsafe) it is to use on my car. If it is safe, I`m not using anything else because of the relative ease of use and good results I`ve had.

I`m now more confused than ever. Between short lived Carnuba waxes, staining polymers, clays, etc. I just don`t know which way to go. There is yet another thing. Every commercial detailer I`ve spoken with (about 8-10) uses some kind of cleaner/wax. None use clay or paste wax, or carnuba products or polymers like Zaino products. Not only that but some guys at work are singing the praises of Griots` garage products...... decisions, decisions:nixweiss