PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...need advice on new car detailing strategy

Pages : [1] 2

EBVert
02-04-2002, 08:42 PM
I`ve been surfing this site as a complete novice, so I apologize if my question has already been answered in the past.

Just ordered a 2002 BMW M3 Convertible...should arrive here in Atlanta by late March. Wanted to get your expert opinion on how I should go about detailing it as far as cleaning, conditioning, waxing, etc. For example, some on this forum have suggested not letting the dealer to any prep....these are the types of things I just don`t know....please help.

I would like to do a couple of things, though I`m not sure of the order or combination:

- Get xPel or Stongard clear coat installed to protect front end from chips, etc. (if it`s worth it...don`t even know)

- Enhance the look of the exterior w/ combination of waxes, conditioners, etc. that are relatively easy to apply and will be more durable (less maintenance - just don`t have the time to spend on detailing as I`d like to)

The car is Titanium Silver w/ Grey interior.

Your comments and opinions on how I should procede would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

BradE
02-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Congrats on your purchase.:cool: :bow M3`s

I would not let the dealer prep the car. I would tell them to leave it as is, and have them wright in the sales agreement if they prep it you are not obligated to purchase the car.

As for what products to use, try using the search function on the board and you will find a treasure trove of information about various products. :xyxthumbs

Welcome to the forum. :bounce

Lemonxxs
02-04-2002, 10:09 PM
exactly what Showroom said.

Welcome too again!!

Chuckmotor
02-04-2002, 10:35 PM
(in my best Homer Simpson voice) Mmmmmm... M3....

Yeah, don`t let them touch that thing! Don`t let thim put ANY dealer decals on it, don`t let them wash it, don`t let them do anything to it! If I were you, I would pull the peel off myself, but you can let them do that, if you are more comfortable.

I would slap on some Klasse Sealent Glaze (SG), maybe do a clay bar first. It will look superb! Once again, amazing car!!!!!

imported_killerjg
02-04-2002, 11:03 PM
Here are some search ideas:

Is the car in a garage? Yes, maybe Souveran or Pinn Paste Glaze. Great shine, but not high durability.

Three common systems here:

Klasse

Zaino

Blackfire.

Each has it`s followers and all are liked very much.

I have used Klasse and Blackfire.

rmccall6
02-04-2002, 11:06 PM
Just because the car is new doesnt gaurentee thats its clean, with all that transportation... Heres what I would do.

1. Read the archives, new posts, books, and also DavidB`s e-book, to get really familiar with detailing. Trust me, this is the most important step.

2. Tell the dealership; "You toucha my car, I beaka your face":D Just have em peel of the expel film for you.

3. After selecting your new stuff (read read read), start be thuroughly cleaning all the transportaion gunk off the car (the absolute best way IMO is AutoInt`s ABC system, you can run a search on it and get great info in the product review secion)

4 After getting the car squeaky clean, then go about fully detailing it with your now awesome aresenal of detailing suplies. I cant emphisize enough though, learn as much as you can before buying anything. Oh and BTW, congrats on the new ride:up

Don2000g
02-04-2002, 11:48 PM
You can find info pertaining to XPEL by using the search function. You`ll find that its a very good product and it does do what it advertises to do. It protects your car from chips. The only problem that I`ve noticed with it after almost two years is that it does darken just a tiny bit over time. But then again my car is constantly exposed to the elements and I do receive 105 degree plus temperature quite regularly in the spring and summer and fall. Laters

DETAILKING
02-05-2002, 02:27 AM
That is quite a car you have there!

If you want something durable that will keep it`s slickness wash after wash and also keep its gloss, go with a synthetic polymer system. Zaino is the undisputed majority crowd favorite on silver. KLASSE is the other crowd favorite, Check both out and use what will work best for you.

I recommend telling your dealer NOT to touch your car! My BMW was swirled up pretty bad after my dealer got through with it. Also, a good claying will do the car good as prep before applying the sealant. I like clay magic, mothers, and zaino clay. Pinnacle clay also works well.

andrew43
02-05-2002, 09:42 AM
http://autopia-carport.com/forum/attachment.php3?s=&postid=31335.jpg (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/attachment.php3?s=&postid=31335.jpg`)

This is my TSM 330i. The products I use on it are:

1. Dawn wash (initial wash only)
2. Mother`s clay
3. Meguiars Quick Detailer (for claying only)
4. Zaino z1 x1
5. Zaino z2 x4 (it has 4 coats on it now. The attached picture is after 3 coats)
6. Zaino z6 in between coats and after each wash

There are some pictures on my website that show it after one coat of z2. http://www.geocities.com/yell00itr (`http://www.geocities.com/yell00itr`)

Good luck. You are going to have quite an awesome machine. I`m leisurely looking for a new M Coupe now...

DETAILKING
02-05-2002, 09:53 AM
Love those "M" double spoke type 68 wheels!

andrew43
02-05-2002, 10:42 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Love those "M" double spoke type 68 wheels! [/b]</blockquote>
I used to curse them since they are so hard to clean the BMW pads dust so much. But, after a coat of z1 and z2 (yes, I put z1 on the wheels HOPING it would increase longevity) the wheels come clean EXTREMELY easily with a couple squirts of my homemade wheel cleaner (nothing more than 33% Meguiars Soft Car Wash Gel and 67% water in a spray bottle) and some agitation from my oxo wheel brush.

DETAILKING
02-05-2002, 10:51 AM
I zaino my wheels too after using MOTHERS clear coated wheel polish (See my review on it). Can you post a link for that XOXO brush? I would be interested in checking it out....

Lemonxxs
02-05-2002, 11:02 AM
OXO brushes are sold at CMA and you can see one in davids hand in the e-book where he is using it to clean the wheels.

I have one great grip does not get slippery at all.

I noticed OXO has tons of stuff at bed bath and beyond for the kitchen as well.

andrew43
02-05-2002, 11:18 AM
I got mine at bed bath and beyond for $9.99 (on sale from $12.99). Go there when you have a chance..they have a good selection of oxo products.

Sorry, no link :(

Don2000g
02-05-2002, 10:38 PM
Bed, bath and beyond? What were you doing in a place like that? Hehe!