PDA

View Full Version : A question about touch up paint

vdubrick
02-01-2002, 01:42 PM
There is a very very small rock chip on the fender of my car. I have used touch up paint to cover it. Now it`s filled with paint, but it`s not shiny. What do I need to do to make it glossy like the original paint? Will wet-sanding and polishing (ie using 3M SMR, Perfect-it III etc) do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Deckard

PS: I`ll take picture and post it soon.

Ron Ketcham
02-01-2002, 01:57 PM
When doing chip repairs on a clearcoated vehicle, you need to allow room in the chip to apply some clear over the base coat.

Then you may even it out with some 2000 and a light compound/polish process.

The clear is the component that provides the gloss on 99% of vehicles built since the mid 80`s.

Ketch

:xyxthumbs

mooredriven
02-01-2002, 02:04 PM
i`m really scared to try touching up a few areas i`ve got... I guess i just don`t want it to end up looking worse than it already does. :o :D

vdubrick
02-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Ron,

thanks for the quick reply. I applied some clear, so I`ll go with 2000 and 3M Perfect-It III.

@JayDub

I`m lucky that this is the <strong class=`bbc`>only[/b] chip on the paint (touch the wood). And as I said it`s very small, so it doesn`t scare me.

Thanks again.

Deckard

vdubrick
02-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Well, I hate to say that I have found another chip :(

It`s about 1/2 inch.

http://erikli-hamburg.bei.t-online.de/chip.jpg

Any ideas whether it`s through the clear or not?

Thanks

Deckard

Ron Ketcham
02-02-2002, 03:36 PM
You are down to the ecoat in a couple of spots, then surface primer in some others.

Need to clean this one real carefully, and lay in the base coat, As long as the ecoat is there, no reason to apply a surface primer.

Leave room for the clear, as it is what is going to actually seal up the damaged area.

Ketch

:xyxthumbs